Anna+Grace+Haggerty++%2812%29+swims+the+400+freestyle+relay+at+the+Last+Chance+Invitational.++%22Most+of+all+I%E2%80%99m+going+to+miss+the+team%2C+%22Haggerty+said%2C+%22because+throughout+the+season+we+became+a+family%2C+and+I+hope+we+will+all+stay+in+touch+with+each+other+because+they+are+all+great+people.%22+

Swimmers get one last chance for state qualifying

Anna Grace Haggerty  (12) swims the 400 freestyle relay at the Last Chance Invitational.

Anna Grace Haggerty (12) swims the 400 freestyle relay at the Last Chance Invitational. "Most of all I’m going to miss the team, "Haggerty said, "because throughout the season we became a family, and I hope we will all stay in touch with each other because they are all great people."

Madeline Conger

Madeline Conger

Madeline Conger

Varsity swimmers swam in their last swim meet for the season on Wed., Jan. 30 at Coffee County. This meet was not originally on the swim team’s schedule, but after one of the first meets was canceled, it was rescheduled to the end of January. Since the swim meet was the last meet for the team and the last chance to qualify for state finals, they called it the “Last Chance Meet,” meaning it is the last chance for any member of the team to swim a state time.

Aubrey Garrett (12), Rachel Kiesau (12), Erica Sellars (12), and Lexi Rosso (12) had hit a state relay time a week earlier at the Region meet, while several other swimmers were only seconds away from state times. Unfortunately, no swimmers achieved a state time at the last chance meet.

Even though the swim season only lasts for three months, the members of the swim team have grown close and formed new friendships. The last chance swim meet was emotional for the team.

“What I am going to miss most about swim is the social interactions with the team at every practice,” Hilton Manry (9) said. “Especially the members who are graduating at the end of the year.” 

Manry swam in the 200-yard freestyle, 200 -ard freestyle relay and the 100-yard breaststroke.

“I am going to miss the people’s vibes and the way they treat everyone,” Shane Pollock (9) said. Pollock swam in the 200-yard medley relay, 100-yard freestyle and the 400-yard freestyle relay,  

“I am going to miss the people the most,” Landon Conley (9) said. “They made the sport so much more fun. At our last swim meet I did my best ever in the 200 freestyle and rose a few spots in the leader board. I can’t wait for next year.”

“I’m really going to miss being on the swim team,” Anna Grace Haggerty (12) said. “It is such a great experience. I am going to miss the rush of energy when I’m at a swim meet and I’m about to jump into the water and swim my heart out. I am going to miss all the support of my teammates and all the parents that traveled to each meet to cheer us on. But most of all, I’m going to miss the team because throughout the season we became a family,  and I hope we will all stay in touch with each other because they are all great people.”

“I am anticipating the 200 free realy , 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, and 200 medley relay.”  Carlin Garey (10) said. “I’m going to miss [swim], but not the cold weather. I’m going to miss being with everyone on the team.”

The girls’ team placed second out of six teams. The boys’ team placed fourth out of nine teams. Garrett, Kiesau, Sellars and Rouseau will attend the State swim meet on Thurs., Feb. 22 at Georgia Institutes of Technology in Atlanta. 

Panoptic • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in