Filed under COLUMNS, FEATURES

By the Numbers: the 2019 Oscars best picture nominations

Black Panther, Roma, and Bohemian Rhapsody were among the seven films nominated for best picture this year. Up to ten films from throughout a given year can be nominated for this award.

Black Panther, Roma, and Bohemian Rhapsody were among the seven films nominated for best picture this year. Up to ten films from throughout a given year can be nominated for this award. "This year's best picture nominations has a wide range of genres and topics," Maggie Nguyen (12) said. "This demonstrates the progression made throughout 2018."

The Academy Awards, or The Oscars, are a set of highly esteemed awards that are given to different films, actors, actresses, directors, and other production members. Categories range from best director, best visual effects, best actor in a leading role, and the top category, best picture. It is one of the highest honors to be nominated for an Oscar in the film industry. To be nominated for an Oscar is to be chosen as one of the best of the best.

The nominees for the 2019 91st Academy Awards were recently revealed, and this year features some tough competition, as well as some nominees marking Oscar history.

The nominees for best picture are as followed:

“Black Panther”

“BlacKkKlansman”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“The Favourite”

“Green Book”

“Roma”

“A Star Is Born”

“Vice”

While many superhero movies have been praised and loved by audiences, the same cannot be said for critics. Superhero blockbusters have usually always held more appeal to the mainstream audience. However, Black Panther is now the first superhero movie to ever be nominated for best picture.

¨I saw the movie and absolutely adored it,¨ Maggie Mann (11) said. ¨Its one of the best Marvel movies in my opinion . . . I´d recommend it to anyone.¨

Black Panther’s best picture nomination marks a new frontier for Marvel and other superhero movies. Other superhero films have tried campaigning in the past, such as DC’s The Dark Knight and Wonder Woman, but despite both of those film’s extremely positive acclaim (The Dark Knight holds a 94% fresh critic and audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, and Wonder Woman holds a 93% critic score and an 88% audience score), The Dark Knight walked away with nothing but a best sound editing nomination, and Wonder Woman walked away with no nominations. Black Panther not only has a best picture nomination, but a total of 7 Oscar nominations. So Black Panther’s nomination is a step in a new direction for the Academy Awards, opening up to a more mainstream audience.

Roma’s nomination for best picture also marks a new and interesting step for The Oscars. The film, released onto Netflix on December 14, is a semi-autobiographical drama on director  Alfonso Cuarón’s youth in Mexico City. Upon its release, the film was praised for its performances, cinematography, direction, and screenplay. However, being a Netflix film, it was up for debate as to how it would do at the Oscars alongside the other movies released in theaters. Being a Netflix movie certainly did not hurt the film though, as the movie sits with 10 Oscar nominations, making it tied with The Favorite for the most nominations this year. Now that the door has been busted down for Netflix movies to be considered as worthy enough to compete against movies in theaters, it will be interesting to see what Netflix will do in 2019.

Bohemian Rhapsody was an unpredictable choice for best picture nomination. While the movie was loved by the mainstream audience, making over $800 million dollars worldwide, it received mixed reviews from critics.

“I want to see it,” Abby Jenkins (10) said. “Freddie Mercury is one of my icons, and the actor who played him, Rami Malek, I’ve heard was phenomenal in the role.”

Despite the positivity among the mainstream public, It currently holds a 62% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes, technically qualifying it as a ¨fresh¨ movie, but it is just two points away from a ¨rotten¨ score. It is definitely a low score for a best picture nomination. Usually, voters in the Academy Awards consist of those who have a more critical mindset, so it is interesting to see that The Oscars is siding with the public’s positive opinion on this movie.

The other nominations are fairly understandable. All of them were extremely positively received by critics and audiences, so their best picture nominations are not as surprising as the previously mentioned films. Despite all the twists and turns with this year’s nominations, they are all well-deserving of their nominations, and no matter which one wins, their nomination will always be a milestone for that film.

About the Writer
Jackson Carlstrom, Co-Editor

Hi, my name is Jackson Carlstrom, and I am a junior this school year. I am a Co-Editor for the 2018-2019 PanopticOnline staff. Writing is my passion, it...