Two students earn chairs in GMEA 2019 All-State Band

These students received a score high enough at District Honor Band auditions to advance to the 2nd round. It is at the 2nd round where students have the opportunity to make the All-State Band or the Region Honor Band.

These students received a score high enough at District Honor Band auditions to advance to the 2nd round. It is at the 2nd round where students have the opportunity to make the All-State Band or the Region Honor Band. "I was really nervous because I had bigger competition now, being in high school," Maiya Johnson (9) said. "I didn't even think I was going to make Region, but as I found out, I did make Region. So that was really cool."

21 band members traveled to Houston County High School for the second round of All-State Band auditions last month. The results are in now, and two students from Lee County will be representing the band at All-State.

Trumpet player Jacob Carlstrom (10) and clarinet player Christopher Kim (11) both earned a chair in All-State.

“It’s really awesome,” Carlstrom said. “This is my third year going to All-State, and it has always been a great experience.”

“I’m really glad that the hours of practicing I went through paid off . . . I am looking forward to being a part of the All-State Band,” Kim said.

The GMEA All-State Band is an ensemble that band students across the state of Georgia audition for. In order to audition for All-State, a musician must receive the minimum score required to advance to the second round during their District Honor Band auditions.  The band features the best student musicians in the state of Georgia.

The audition process for All-State is a little bit different than the process for auditioning for District Honor Band. In second round auditions, students must play the same etude that they played before during their first auditions. However, they also have a second technical etude to play. Scales are also not necessary at the second round. Instead, students have two different pieces of music to sight read.

The students who receive the highest scores at the auditions are then selected to be a part of the band.  

The band director for the 9-10 band will be Dr. Rebecca Phillips, the director of bands at Colorado State University. According to GMEA , Dr. Phillips “regularly conducts collegiate honor bands and all-state bands, and festival bands across the United States and in Canada, and she has been a rehearsal clinician at the Midwest Clinic: An International Band and Orchestra Conference.

The band directors for the 11-12 band will be Dr. Paula A. Crider and Dr. Sarah McKoin.

Dr. Crider has 33 years of musical education experience, as she worked for the Crockett High School Bands in Austin, Texas. Working for Crockett, the band “enjoyed both state and national recognition for musical excellence on the concert stage, and were twice named Texas 5A State Marching Champions.”

Dr. McKoin is the Director of bands at Texas Tech University. She has experience with being a guest clinician, as recently, “she served as a clinician for a band festival in Thailand, and has worked for the Asian Pacific American School Honor Band in Guangzhou, China.”

Students will leave for All-State on February 28, and the concert will be held on March 2 at The Classic Center in Athens, Georgia.