Filed under COLUMNS, FEATURES

By the Numbers: Christmas week showdown

By the Numbers: Christmas week showdown

All three of these blockbuster movies will be releasing during the Christmas week/weekend. Films that release during holiday weekends tend to draw in more audiences.

All three of these blockbuster movies will be releasing during the Christmas week/weekend. Films that release during holiday weekends tend to draw in more audiences. "I want to see Aquaman," says Maggie Nguyen (12). "I feel as if Aquaman has a lot of potential."

The weekends before Christmas usually always boast large numbers at the box office, with families gathering together for the holiday and looking for something to do. However, this coming weekend of December 21-23 is sure to be a massive one.

Generally, major blockbusters are spread out across the calendar. Studios try not to release a film too close to another film’s release date that could potentially take away from its audience. This Christmas weekend is going to see some competition though. The weekend is seeing three major studio films being released, with Warner Brother’s Aquaman, Paramount’s Bumblebee, and Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns.

“I’m excited to see Aquaman go solo and learn more about his background,” says Alyssa Barton (12), who is planning on going to see the film.

Aquaman is the 6th film in the DCEU (DC Extended Universe). The film is the lead hero’s first solo movie, with Jason Momoa returning from Justice League to star as Aquaman. With Aquaman being a popular DC superhero, it is sure to make some money. Releasing on December 21, the film will be pitted against Bumblebee, a spinoff in the Transformers franchise following the origin of the popular yellow auto bot.

Both films are targeting the same general audience, with both being action movies based off of comics and cartoons. And both film franchises have their fans as well.

“I’m dying to go see Bumblebee because it shows the story of a protagonist in the rest of the Transformers movies,” says Challis Garey (11).

It would have been smart for one of the films to change their release date since they are both trying to attract the same audience. But both films are firmly set on their December 21 release date. Neither one wants to move, and although there’s no way of knowing for sure, it could possibly be due to the reputation of each film’s franchise. Both films have something to prove. They want to prove to be strong with audiences, and therefore, they are not moving. On Rotten Tomatoes, from all five of the released DCEU films, all but one has a rotten score (meaning under 60%), with the only fresh one being Wonder Woman. And every single one of the films in the Transformers franchise has received a rotten score. Both films are attempting to be a turning point for their respected franchise.

Not only do both films have to compete against each other, but they also have to fight off the Mouse House, with Mary Poppins Returns hitting theaters on December 19, the Wednesday before both other releases. Mary Poppins has the advantage of being a more “family-friendly” film for the younger children to see on Christmas, and it is based on the famous original film from 1964.

There is no way of making a completely accurate prediction, but is is always fun to look and predict which films will come out on top. I personally think that Bumblebee will get the lower end of the stick. It will certainly earn a good bit of money, maybe in the $30, 000-40, 000 range, but it will land in third place. The film is being released in around 3,500 theaters across the nation, less than Poppin’s 3,800 and Aquaman’s 4,100.

The film more than likely won’t be able to compete against Poppin’s, due to Mary Poppins Returns being a safe choice for families with small children during the holidays. The film’s family appeal will place it in 2nd place, with a grose ranging at around $50, 000 to $60, 000 and maybe even $70, 000 to $80, 000 if looking at its Wednesday and Thursday grosses. But for these predictions, we are looking at jut the weekend gross, so Mary Poppins will be at number two.

I think that it will be close between Poppins and Aquaman, but I see the King of Atlantis taking the number one spot, probably grossing around $70,000 to $80, 000. The film is already in over 4,000 theaters, and that number is growing. That, along with anticipation from hardcore DC fans, will probably push Aquaman to the top of the weekend charts.

About the Writer
Jackson Carlstrom, Managing Editor

Hi, my name is Jackson Carlstrom, and I am a junior this school year. I am the managing editor for the 2018-2019 PanopticOnline staff, as well as a writing...