Filed under ACADEMIA

How To Survive Finals

Studying+ahead+can+be+super+beneficial.++Caleb+Crawford+%2812%29+shared+his+study+habits.+%E2%80%9CI+look+over+every+study+guide+days+before+the+test+to+make+sure+I++understand+the+material.+I+then+go+over+them+with+other+people+to+remember+what+I+learned.%E2%80%9D+Crawford+said.+

How To Survive Finals

Studying ahead can be super beneficial.  Caleb Crawford (12) shared his study habits. “I look over every study guide days before the test to make sure I  understand the material. I then go over them with other people to remember what I learned.” Crawford said.

Studying ahead can be super beneficial. Caleb Crawford (12) shared his study habits. “I look over every study guide days before the test to make sure I understand the material. I then go over them with other people to remember what I learned.” Crawford said.

Finals week is upon us and there is a few tips or tricks in order to survive finals week.Instead of having a mental breakdown, try to follow these simple tips and life hacks.

1. Try to minimize distractions.

Put away your phone and turn off the TV. Try to go to a quiet place. The library is a perfect place to get your head in the zone and just focus. Minimizing distractions will let your mind focus on the important things.

2)  Condense your notes into study cards.

This will help you study the most important things. Study cards can assist with studying individual questions.

3)  Explain it out loud.

Explaining topics out loud without looking at your notes shows how much you know about the topic.

4) Work in a study group.

Studying in a group can benefit you. If you are stuck on a problem, a friend can help explain it to you. A study group can allow you to compare notes with your peers and quiz each other.

5) Take a break.

Taking a five minute break every 30 minutes can relieve the stress.  Breaks will allow your brain slow down and comprehend what you have been studying.

6) Start studying early.

Starting early will not be as stressful as cramming last minute. Try setting aside time each day to start studying. By starting early, you can retain and know information better. Going over your notes routinely can be beneficial as well.  

7) Plan study schedule ahead.

Try to plan your study schedule ahead of time and plan to study harder courses longer. If one subject gave you a hard time during the semester, plan to study that subject longer than one of the easier courses.  Planning your schedule ahead will avoid the last minute cramming.

8) Eating healthy.

Eating healthy during the weeks leading up to the exam and exam week will give your brain more fuel. Try to avoid sugary foods and caffeine to avoid a sugar crash.

9) Knowing what the test will cover.

Knowing what the test will cover will help you plan how you study. It is best to know if there will be constructed responses or multiple choice. Knowing ahead of the test will benefit how you prepare for the test.

10) Know when to stop studying.

If you are too overwhelmed, that is a sign to stop studying and take a break. Colin Gruenwald of Kaplan Test Prep said “ Within 12 to 14 hours of the test, it’s time to stop studying. You’re not going to learn a lot of new content. The likelihood is much higher that you’re going to stress yourself out and confuse yourself.” Knowing when to stop studying will help you retain the information.

By using these tips, you can make better studying habits. Bhavya Gupta (12) and Caleb Crawford (12) gave their tips on how to prepare for the final.

“ I study on the weekends and try not to use social media too much.” Gupta said.

“I look over every study guide days before the test to make sure I  understand the material. I then go over them with other people to remember what I learned.” Crawford said.

The senior consensus is to study ahead and in groups for the best overall result. Exam week is painful, everyone knows this, but to study ahead will lift a weight off your shoulders.