Marching band prepares for Sugar Bowl trip

The band works during their first rehearsal for the Sugar Bowl. The members going on the trip will have the opportunity to play with high school bands across the nation, as well as have fun with their fellow band members.

The band works during their first rehearsal for the Sugar Bowl. The members going on the trip will have the opportunity to play with high school bands across the nation, as well as have fun with their fellow band members. "I'm really excited about the trip because I will get ti spend a lot of time with some of my best friends," says Emily Young (11).

The Sugar Bowl in New Orleans is more than just a football game. The entire city is active and celebrating during this time. It is a New Year to remember. And this year, the marching band will be able to be at the heart of the celebration.

Under Ronald Hill (faculty), the marching band was invited to be a part of the Sugar Bowl. One of only 10 other high schools invited to the event, the band will get the opportunity to perform in the Sugar Bowl Halftime Show in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, participate in the official Sugar Bowl parade, and compete in a Battle of the Bands competition.

“I think it will be a great experience filled with amazing, memorable activities and opportunities,” says Madison Bradley (10), a trumpet player who is going on the trip. “I’m looking forward to all the performances, and all of the food as well.”

The Battle of the Bands competition consists of all 10 high school marching bands. Each band gets to perform their halftime show in front of judges. The winner is rewarded by receiving the opportunity to roll of the American flag during the Pre-Game show.

[The competition] is a great opportunity to see what other marching band programs from around the country are doing,” Worldstrides, the sponsor of the Allstate Sugar Bowl Marching Band Program, says.

The band members will get the chance to interact with the rest of the band members from across the country at a New Year’s Eve Dinner and Dance. Along with playing music and socializing, the band members will have time to go around and explore the city of New Orleans.

The band recently received sheet music that they will be playing with the rest of the bands at the event. Similar to their halftime show this year, Fuego Latino, all of the bands will be playing a piece entitled “Latin MagicMeledy”, consisting of arrangements of Havana by Camila Cabello and Despacito by Luis Fonsi.

A little over 100 of the marching band members are signed up to travel down to New Orleans on this trip.

“This is the trip of a lifetime,” says Tony Hall (10), who plays the sousaphone in the marching band. “I’m looking forward to attending my first football Bowl and listening to a college band in person as a marching band member.”

The marching band will depart for the Sugar Bowl on December 29, and will return home after the game.

About the Writer
Jackson Carlstrom, Co-Editor

Hi, my name is Jackson Carlstrom, and I am a junior this school year. I am a Co-Editor for the 2018-2019 PanopticOnline staff. Writing is my passion, it...