Filed under FEATURES

Lost, damaged, or just plain forgotten

It always happens, year after year, without fail. Students borrow books from the school library and the books either get lost, are returned damaged, or they are just forgotten about by the students.

Those books cost money. So, how does the school handle that money that they lose every year?

One thing that Lee County High School does to help earn some of the money back every year is they will not let the seniors graduate until they pay all of their fines that they owe to the school. Even still that only help with ⅓ of the money lost. There are three different classes of students that attend the high school. Not all of the lost money can be blamed on the seniors.

The library also charges the student if they return their borrowed books late which helps with the hefty fee that comes up at the end of the year.

No matter what happens to the book, unless of course the books are returned in the same condition that they left, whether they are damaged or just not returned at all it costs the library money. Either to fix the damages or to replace the missing books.

The high school started a new thing which is called ‘good standing’. Basically this is the privileges students have as long as they do not have any outstanding fees or absences with the school. “The new ‘Good Standing’ rule,” Mrs. Mims said, “has definitely minimized [the library’s] losses over the past two years.”

If a student loses their good standing “that means that they may not purchase parking passes, homecoming tickets, senior passes, prom tickets, and Grad Bash tickets until those fees are paid”, Mrs. Mims said.

All of the rules that the school has put in place has definitely helped out with the library losses. They will never lose any money because of course “losing books is part of any library,” Mrs. Mims said.