Filed under FEATURES

Split Families During the Holidays

Split Families During the Holidays

Anna Harrell (12) spends time with her mom, brother, and sister in North Carolina. This picture was taken on Thanksgiving on the part of the day that Anna spends with her mom’s side of the family. “Time spent in North Carolina with this side of my family is so valuable,” Harrell said, “I cherish every minute of it.”.

Every year around the months of November through January, kids around the world get excited about the upcoming holidays. There is Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Holidays spent with family and friends. A time where the most common phrase heard during the final week of November is, “Can you pass the dressing please?” A time where cold weather means getting cozied up by a fire and drinking hot chocolate. But people often forget about how hard this time can be for kids with split families.

These holidays are meant to unite families and friends together as one, and to celebrate all the things that are truly enjoyed in life. For some people, that is the case, but for others, these holidays mean never-ending arguments, traveling back and forth, packed bags, and the question: “are we opening presents at mom’s or dad’s first?”

It is during this time that friends with split families may need people the most. During this time, those with split families just want some type of “normal”, some type of consistency, anything but the common back and forth, mom or dad’s house.

Anna Harrell (12) understands what it is like to have split parents during the holidays. Her mom and brother live in North Carolina, while her dad lives in Leesburg.  

“Having divorced parents makes it hard on the holidays because you have to decide who you spend the majority of the holiday with,” Harrell said. “In my case, we split the holidays in half and I spend part of the day with my mom and the other part with my dad, or vice versa.”

Presley McClure (12) experiences holidays with split parents as well.

“During the holidays, I feel as if I do not spend enough time with both of my parents and their extended family,” McClure said. “It is so difficult to balance time with each side of the family, and it always makes me super emotional around this time.”

McClure and Harrell, both affected by split parents, find that around this time, there is no better feeling than knowing that even when shared family traditions do not remain constant, their family and friends always will.

Standing on the beach, Anna Harrell (12) and Kady Riddle (12) celebrate their newly wedded parents. Riddle’s mom married Harrell’s dad over the spring of 2017. “I love spending time with my dad and his family. They mean the world to me.” Harrell said.

With her Mom and Step-Dad by her side, Presley McClure (12), celebrates an academic awards ceremony. The photo was taken on a special night when McClure was being given an award. “It is so rewarding to have such supportive parents.” said McClure.

Presley McClure (12) stands with her Dad and Step-Mom to take a picture before going off to the homecoming dance. She was happy to have both her dad and step-mom send her off to her first homecoming dance. “I love moments like these when both of my parents and step-parents can be there to witness these precious memories.” said McClure.

About the Writer
Grace Faucheux, Staff Reporter

My name is Grace Faucheux. I love Jesus, my dog Lucy, and friends & family. I am on the varsity tennis team and the yearbook staff. My favorite quote...