Filed under FEATURES

Purchasing a real Christmas Tree vs a fake tree

Every+year%2C+families+either+take+out+their+Christmas+tree+after+Thanksgiving+or+purchase+one%2C+and+they+decorate+it+in+the+spirit+of+Christmas.+This+tree+is+a+fake+tree+decked+with+colored+lights%2C+tinsel%2C+and+ornaments.+%E2%80%9CI+always+enjoy+putting+it+together+with+the+people+in+my+family.%E2%80%9D+Jacob+Carlstrom+%2810%29%2C+who%E2%80%99s+tree+is+in+the+photo%2C+said.+

Every year, families either take out their Christmas tree after Thanksgiving or purchase one, and they decorate it in the spirit of Christmas. This tree is a fake tree decked with colored lights, tinsel, and ornaments. “I always enjoy putting it together with the people in my family.” Jacob Carlstrom (10), who’s tree is in the photo, said.

Jackson Carlstrom

Jackson Carlstrom

Jackson Carlstrom

With Christmas quickly approaching, people are getting ready for the holiday season. And perhaps there is no better way to bring the joy of Christmas in your house than by putting up a Christmas tree.

Families all around the world have Christmas trees. It is a classic Christmas tradition to get a tree in your living room during the holiday season and spruce it up with lights, ornaments, and tinsel. But there are two different ways to go about getting a Christmas tree. Before making a purchase, one must ask themself if they want a real Christmas Tree or a fake Christmas Tree in their house.

“I’m up for a real Christmas tree over a fake one,” Darren Clanton (12) said. “The Christmas tradition in my house was that we always got a real Christmas tree and we always ate Christmas dinner at my Grandfather’s house, and we had the presents under the tree.”

The Conger Families real Christmas Tree.

A real Christmas tree is definitely the traditional way to go, with Christmas trees being in the houses of families since the 16th century. Real Christmas trees also have a natural pleasant aroma that fills up the entire living room with the scent of winter nature. Real Christmas trees can be purchased at any local tree farm. Buying a real Christmas tree greatly benefits local small businesses. And the experience of going outside and selecting a tree for a house definitely triumphs over simply grabbing a boxed in fake tree off of a store shelf.

Carra Bell (12) helps her parents run the Silver Bells Christmas Tree Farm, a local small business owned by them in Worth County. The farm is a great place to purchase a real Christmas tree.

“It’s actually fun . . . everyone who comes picks and cuts their own Christmas tree, so it’s a fun family experience,” Bell said. “It’s really heart warming to see families laughing and walking around, and it’s good to see that our hard work is making people happy.”

Purchasing a real Christmas tree does have a few cons though. Bringing a real large tree from a tree farm to a house can be a burden. Using a real tree means needles will fall off and make a mess to clean up after Christmas. There is also a fire hazard with real trees. Since wood is flammable, a real Christmas tree would quickly go up in flames if something bad were to happen with the electricity powering the Christmas lights.

“We are going to have a fake tree at our house because we have a dog, and we don’t have time to go get a real one together,” Christina Wynn (11) said.

Fake Christmas trees are an option for those who would like to spice up their house for Christmas without purchasing a real tree. Using a fake tree saves money over time, since fake trees do not have to be thrown out after Christmas like real trees do. Rather, they can be boxed up and put in the attic until next year. Fake trees also do not leave behind the mess of needles that real trees do, and they do not have to be constantly watered.

While being able to easily assemble and disassemble a tree without throwing it away sounds great, storing a fake Christmas tree does take up a lot of space. Unlike real Christmas trees, most fake trees are imported into the United States, so there is no benefit to the local economy. Some fake Christmas trees can also come off as artificial and synthetic. They do not have the natural, fresh look that a real Christmas Tree has.

Both real and fake Christmas trees have their pros and cons, so there is no right answer as to what tree is the best. Both types of trees have their own Christmas magic to them. Ultimately, families should just choose whatever type of tree is best for their house, and bring that Christmas joy into the living room.

About the Contributors
Jackson Carlstrom, Managing Editor

Hi, my name is Jackson Carlstrom, and I am a junior this school year. I am the managing editor for the 2018-2019 PanopticOnline staff, as well as a writing...

Madeline Conger, Staff Reporter

Hi, my name is Madeline Conger, and I’m a junior this year. I am a part of both yearbook and newspaper staff this school year. This is my first year...