Filed under FEATURES

Evolution of Santa Claus

Evolution of Santa Claus

Nutcrackers are a family tradition for many, much like that of seeing Santa Claus. Anna Grace Haggerty's (12) family goes and sees Santa every year. Haggerty (12) said,

Nutcrackers are a family tradition for many, much like that of seeing Santa Claus. Anna Grace Haggerty's (12) family goes and sees Santa every year. Haggerty (12) said, "He gives so many children so many great memories and allows kids all over the world to be excited for Christmas."

Georgia Miller

Georgia Miller

Georgia Miller

The Santa Claus of today didn’t always exist. In fact, without a saint from what is now Turkey, there wouldn’t be Santa Claus at all.

Saint Nicholas was a Bishop in fourth century Myra. He was rich because his mother and father died when he was very young and left him a lot of money. In December of 1773 and 1774, a newspaper reported on several groups, mainly Dutch, that gathered to honor the anniversary of his death. The name Santa Claus came from his shortened Dutch name Sinter Klaas, which was from his full Dutch name Sint Nikolaas.

That’s not where the story ends. In 1822, an American professor of Oriental and Greek Literature, Clement Clarke Moore, wrote a poem for his three daughters called “An Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas,” better known as “Twas the Night Before Christmas.” Clement’s poem is mainly why there is the image of Santa today. He described Santa as a “jolly old elf” with the ability to ascend a chimney with a nod of his head.

Moore’s poem helped popularize the image of Santa who flies house to house on Christmas Eve in a miniature sleigh with eight tiny reindeer. Jackson Peeples (12) is a big fan of Santa and the work he does every year.

“I love Santa Claus,” Peeples said. “I like when he comes to the mall and even though people say he isn’t actually real, I secretly believe in him.”

In 1881 Thomas Nast, a political cartoonist, created the fat jolly man with a white beard who carries a sack full of toys for good children. The cartoon he made first appeared in Harper’s weekly. Thomas Nast was the man who gave Santa the bright red suit with white fur trim, the North Pole, Mrs. Claus, and his hard working elves.

Anna Grace Haggerty (12) said, “He gives children so many great memories and allows kids all over the world to be excited for Christmas morning when they get presents from Santa.”

While there are Santa traditions in the United States, other countries around the world do not have the same traditions. In Germany, Kris Kringle is believed to deliver presents to well behaved Swiss and German children. One English legend tells that Father Christmas will visit children on the eve of Christmas and fill stockings with treats for the holidays.

According to A&E Television Networks, LLC., a Russian tale says that “an elderly woman named Babouschka purposely gave the wise men wrong directions to Bethlehem so that they couldn’t find baby Jesus. Later, she felt remorseful, but could not find the men to undo the damage. To this day, on January 5, Babouschka visits Russian children leaving gifts at their bedsides in the hope that one of them is the baby Jesus and she will be forgiven.” In Italy, there is a story about a lady named La Befana, a kindly witch who takes a broom stick down chimneys of homes so that she could deliver toys to stockings of “lucky”children.

About the Contributor
Georgia Miller, Editor In Chief

Hi! My name is Georgia Katherine Miller and I am a junior this school year.  I am the Editor, the EIC, for our news site this year and I am so excited...