Filed under FEATURES, STUDENTS

Bursting with energy

Bursting with energy

Needing a mid-day pick me up, James Wagner (11) stops by the Trojan Perk for a Monster. The Monsters cost 2 dollars each.

Needing a mid-day pick me up, James Wagner (11) stops by the Trojan Perk for a Monster. The Monsters cost 2 dollars each. "I drink them more than I should," Wagner said. "I like the taste of them and they help me get through the day."

Hannah Elliott

Hannah Elliott

Hannah Elliott

School requires a lot of hard work and attention. Sometimes, assignments require staying up late to finish. Not getting enough sleep can make someone tired, and a quick way to get a burst of energy is from an energy drink.

On campus, energy drinks are available in the Trojan Perk shop before school and during lunch. The shop sells Monster energy drinks in the Zero Ultra flavors, which have 0 calories.

“We sell a case of 24 drinks in a day or two,” Shelby Nix (11), junior manager of the store, said.

Even though these drinks are promoted as “healthier” than the originals, the high amounts of caffeine in them can have harmful effects on an adolescent body. The Zero Ultra cans of monster have 140 mg of caffeine per can.

Research has said that children ages 12-18 should have no more than 100 mg of caffeine per day, which is less than what an energy drink is worth. Having excessive amounts of caffeine can have negative side effects, like dehydration, insomnia, jitteriness, anxiety, nausea, vomiting and in extreme cases, seizures.

“I drink multiple energy drinks a week,” Jacob Nichols (11) said. “Getting off of work so late usually doesn’t leave enough time to sleep in my schedule. NJROTC requires a lot of energy, as do my other classes, so sometimes I need that extra push.”

Potential risks of drinking too many energy drinks are:

• Caffeine overdose
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Neurological system effects
  • Cardiovascular system effects

While drinking an excessive amount of energy drinks is harmful, an occasional drink can actually benefit the body. These positive effects include:

• Energy boost
  • Vitamin B, which keeps the red blood cells and nerves healthy, as well as the digestive system
  • B6, which helps the body with cardiovascular, immune and nervous system function
  • Niacin, which helps relieve arthritis pains and lower blood lipids
  • Pantothenic Acid, which helps with allergies, stress, anxiety and skin disorders
  • Riboflavin: Can treat muscle cramps and blood disorders

There have been many debates over how energy drinks affect the health of teenagers and young adults. While each body reacts differently, there are still common dangers to look out for. Only drinking a few energy drinks a month can improve mental and physical health, but too many could prove to be fatal.

About the Contributor
Hannah Elliott, Co-Editor

Hi, my name is Hannah Elliott, and I am a junior this year, as well as a dual enrollment student with Georgia Southwestern. I am the Co-Editor, Head Copy...