Filed under COLUMNS, FEATURES, Showcase

By the Numbers: A record breaking Thanksgiving 2018

These are the posters to the top movies of 2018's Thanksgiving weekend. Several families go out to the theater during this time since it is a holiday weekend.

These are the posters to the top movies of 2018's Thanksgiving weekend. Several families go out to the theater during this time since it is a holiday weekend. "I like watching scary movies during the holidays because there's usually less people," Janie Eubanks (10) said.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Holiday weekends are competitive in the film industry. Adults are off of work, and children are out of school, so studios always push for a big profit during the holidays. Thanksgiving weekend is huge in particular, as theaters often see increased attendance due to the getting together of families for the weekend.

This Thanksgiving weekend saw the second largest opening weekend on the holiday ever with Disney’s Ralph Breaks the Internet. The film grossed $56, 237, 634 in 4,017 theaters across the nation. The film actually opened in theaters the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, so when counting the money made on Wednesday and Thursday, the film grossed a massive $84, 750, 405. A sequel to 2012’s Wreck-It Ralph from Walt Disney Animation Studios, Ralph 2 is not the only film from the studio to boast success during the Thanksgiving weekend. The largest opening weekend on the weekend of Thanksgiving goes to Frozen, which Disney released in 2013 to an opening of $93, 590, 387. And the third largest goes to Disney’s other film, Moana, grossing $82, 080, 274 on its opening weekend in 2016.

“It was a really good movie,” Nyiem Dailey (12) said about the film Ralph Breaks the Internet, which he saw during the weekend. “I would recommend it because it adds more depth than the first movie.”

Creed II leads alongside Ralph, as it opened this weekend to $35, 574, 710. The film is the eight film in the Rocky franchise, and is a direct sequel to the original Creed in 2015. Compared to the opening weekend of the original Creed, Creed II improved in the first one, seeing as the first film grossed just $29, 632, 823 on its opening weekend. This increase should show Warner Brothers, the studio behind the films, that there is a growing audience for these films.

Rounding out the top three of the weekend is Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch. The film opened on November 9th, so it did not have its opening weekend during the Thanksgiving holiday. However, it was able to enjoy a small drop between weekends from the holiday. The film grossed $30, 392, 220, dropping just -21.2% from its previous weekend. This was more than likely due to family audiences, as hundreds of schools across the country take the week off for Thanksgiving.

Now while The Grinch is number three when looking at the three-day weekend, if you look at the box office as a five day weekend like was done with Ralph 2 releasing on a Wednesday, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald just barely tops The Grinch to claim the third place spot. The sequel to 2016’s Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them set in the world of Harry Potter was released the weekend before Thanksgiving weekend, had a five day gross of $42, 357, 071, while The Grinch had a close five day gross of 42, 070, 740. While Fantastic Beasts 2 is technically not doing as well at the U.S. box office as the first one did, it has still managed to make back its production budget of 200 million dollars. Its lesser performance than the first one may be a result of somewhat negative media film critics have given the movie. The movie is sitting at a rotten 39% on Rotten Tomatoes, the lowest percentage ever for a Harry Potter film. But although it is not performing as successfully as the previous Harry Potter films, it is certainly not a financial failure.

“I want to see the movie, but I’m discouraged because of all the bad media coverage,” Abby Jenkins (10) said. She was unable to to see the film over the weekend though, but Jenkins is still planning on seeing it at some point. “I’m a huge Harry Potter fan though, so I still want to see it.”

Overall, Thanksgiving 2018 was a successful year for movies, with several impressive performances. It was one of the largest recorded in history. This Thanksgiving weekend is one to remember in terms of numbers.

About the Writer
Jackson Carlstrom, Managing Editor

Hi, my name is Jackson Carlstrom, and I am a junior this school year. I am the managing editor for the 2018-2019 PanopticOnline staff, as well as a writing...