Filed under CLUBS, NJROTC

How the NJROTC unit shaped me

How the NJROTC unit shaped me

During their class time, 6th period NJROTC tests their knowledge of Naval stances. The class is a training course for the Navy.

During their class time, 6th period NJROTC tests their knowledge of Naval stances. The class is a training course for the Navy. "Ive been in ROTC since my freshman year," Jacob Nichols (11) said. "It's always interesting because something new always happens."

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Growing up I always looked up to my older brother. He has always been a role model to me and a huge part of my life. I have always wanted to be just like him so when he joined the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) at his old high school in Florida, of course I wanted to follow in his footsteps.

Not only did he influence me to join but after going to all the meetings with my parents I realized that it seemed like a very interesting and inviting program. I always looked forward to joining the JROTC program down in Florida but sadly during the summer after my 6 grade year we moved up to Lee County, Georgia to be closer to the rest of our family.

I learned about the NJROTC that the high school offers and I was interested and very excited to join the unit when I began my 9 grade year. When we registered for our 9 grade classes it was one of the first classes I signed up for.

Being in the class for the last four years has taught me a lot. One of the things I remember most about my first year was that the idea of integrity. The idea of being honest and always doing the right thing no matter who is around to see.

I have grown a lot as a person over the years because of the things that the class has taught me.

I learned that respect is a very big and important part of everything. You cannot expect someone to respect you if you are treating them horribly. I also learned that not everyone is cut out to be in a position where they are constantly being told what to do, some people just will not do it. Plus, not everyone is cut out to be in a position where they are in charge, telling others what to do.

While the class may seem boring to other people I believe that the class has been very beneficial to my personal growth. There are many things that the instructors have taught me over the years. If I could go back I would do it all over again. Although in Lee County the program is a lot different than the one in Florida I do not regret the choice to still join.