Filed under ACADEMIA, CLUBS, STUDENTS

NJROTC: More than a uniform

NJROTC: More than a uniform

Grateful to be out of the cold, the cadets in this platoon stand tall for their inspection. The inspection took part out on the field too, but the cold made it a little miserable for the battalion.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

There are many things the NJROTC Trojan Battalion do all year, every year. One of their most important annual events is their battalion wide inspection, their Area Manager’s Inspection, where someone outside of the school system comes down to Trojan Field and test the knowledge of the cadets grades 9-12.

The inspector alternates every year between the area 12 manager CDR Rustie Hibbard, USN (Ret) and a guest inspector. This year’s inspector has a tie to the battalion, because he is the father of Gavin Livingston (12), the Commanding Officer of the unit.

“It was weird seeing my dad in that position,” Livingston said. “He’s never like that at home, so the whole battalion got to see it at once.”

COL Eric Livingston, USMC is in the active service of the Marine Corps, where he is a Marine Colonel. There is no bias towards the inspection, because it does not reflect one individual cadet, it focuses more on the different platoons, which divides the unit into their class periods.

Practice technically never ends, but they only get a short period to practice as a whole unit. The inspection tests things the cadets use in class, like the proper way to wear their uniforms, the Naval Chain of Command, and basic commands they practice.

On their practice day, they went out to the football field to practice their Pass-in-Review ceremony. In the Navy, the Pass-in-Review ceremony started out as a way for new commanders to inspect their troops. NJROTC battalions use it as a practice for the cadets that move onto the Navy.

“The entire battalion is [getting inspected],” Jacob Nichols (11) said. “But the focus is on the platoons.”

The practice day was also full of horns that could be heard from the lecture hall. The horns are used to symbolize the entrance of an important figure, such as the inspector.

The way they perform in the inspection is reflected into the gradebook. Each cadet gets 4 grades, which is the equivalent of 2 assessment grades.

The inspection itself was on Thursday, November 15 at the beginning of the day. The cadets stood patiently on the field in their uniforms, which most spent all night perfecting the placement of their name tags and ribbons.

“Mostly it was great,” Olivia Hall (11) said. “Bravo 3 got honor platoon an most of our uniforms were great. We just need to work on knowledge, confidence, and working as a team.”

“AMI is always a fun experience,” Hall said. “Even though it’s rainy almost every year, it’s an opportunity for us to learn and grow as a group.”

There were many cadets that got awarded for their excellency. Cadets Nichols and Haley Price (10) both got the outstanding appearance award. This means their uniforms are near perfect, and they maintained an accurate Naval appearance.

The cadets stood out in the cold, rainy weather for hours, doing their best to proudly represent the county they are from.

The next NJROTC event is the Drill Meet on November 17 in Florida.

About the Writer
Hannah Elliott, Co-Editor

Hi, my name is Hannah Elliott, and I am a junior this year, as well as a dual enrollment student with Georgia Southwestern. I am the Co-Editor, Head Copy...