Griffins Skills Challenge

Submitted Photo

SkillsUSA is a partnership with teachers, students, and the industry to ensure that America will have a skilled workforce. Lee County High is very fortunate to have a club like this for students and for them to be able to compete in skills challenges to earn scholarships to some the top technical colleges in the nation.   

This skills challenge was held in Griffin, Georgia at the county fairgrounds. In the event which included different categories for students to compete in such as masonry, welding, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, and blueprint reading. Thirty-two students went to represent our school and out of those, Kelsey Rey (11) placed first place in blueprint reading and Justin Story (12) placed second in electrical. Dusty Pressley (12) who went for the welding category, but didn’t place. “ This was my 2nd time competing in that category, I could have done better with my vertical welds. But don’t get me wrong I still had fun” said Dusty.     

But stay in tune there are more competitions coming up within the year for Lee County SkillsUsa club. As they will be going to another competition like this on November 29, 2018 at the Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, Georgia.