Filed under CAMPUS NEWS, Showcase

Cancer week continues

FCCLA+hosted+a+Cancer+Fundraising+Campaign+from+October+25th-+November+6th.+They+are+selling+blood+drops+for+the+Wall+Of+Hope%2C+decorating+Luminary+bag+in+honor+of+those+who+have+or+had+cancer.++%22The+reason+we+chose+to+do+a+cancer+Fundraiser+is+because+it+is+a+cause+near+and+dear+to+my+heart.%22+Valerie+Thompson+said.+

Cancer week continues

FCCLA hosted a Cancer Fundraising Campaign from October 25th- November 6th. They are selling blood drops for the Wall Of Hope, decorating Luminary bag in honor of those who have or had cancer.

FCCLA hosted a Cancer Fundraising Campaign from October 25th- November 6th. They are selling blood drops for the Wall Of Hope, decorating Luminary bag in honor of those who have or had cancer. "The reason we chose to do a cancer Fundraiser is because it is a cause near and dear to my heart." Valerie Thompson said.

Family Career and Community Leaders of America is hosting a Cancer Fundraising Campaign from October 25th- November 6th for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) as a community service project which also ties in to their 7 Mindsets theme of Live to Give. They are selling blood drops for the Wall of Hope, decorating Luminary bag in honor of those who have or had cancer,  and having a class collection competition.

November 5th-9th was their DRESS4CHANGE days in which they encouraged students to donate change throughout the week and dress up to show their support. If they reached their goal $2,019 dollars students had a chance to tape an administrator to the wall during their LLS Assembly. The class who raised the most money also earned a Pie Party for their class. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world’s largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. The LLS mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.

Early Childhood teacher Valerie Thompson said, “All money raised went directly to the Leukemia Society to support cancer patients and important research.”

So far they have raised around $500 with an ultimate goal of $2,019. Valerie Thompson also said, “The reason we chose to do a cancer Fundraiser is because it is a cause near and dear to my heart.”

About 1 in 3 people will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. Her mom is a kidney cancer survivor, she have friends who are brain and breast cancer survivors, and both her father-in-law and church Pastor are currently battling prostate cancer.

She could not think of a better way to honor them than to raise money for cancer patients.

She hopes people will continue to show support and join their cancer fighting T.E.A.M because Together Everyone Achieve More.

About the Writer
CorNeesia Taylor, Staff Reporter

Hi, my name is CorNeesia Taylor I go by Nique. I'm 18 years old. I work at Journey's.