Filed under Showcase, Trojan Elite

New team with new experiences

Danceline+gets+together+before+the+performance+to+get+hyped+up.+As+they+waited+to+go+on+the+field+and+perform+they+talked+of+how+they+miss+their+seniors+in+the+coming+season.+Devan+Thomas+%2811%29+said%2C+%22I+have+enjoyed+learning+from+the+seniors+and+will+miss+them+when+they+leave%2C+but+I+know+they+are+off+to+bigger+and+better+things.%22++++

New team with new experiences

Danceline gets together before the performance to get hyped up. As they waited to go on the field and perform they talked of how they miss their seniors in the coming season. Devan Thomas (11) said,

Danceline gets together before the performance to get hyped up. As they waited to go on the field and perform they talked of how they miss their seniors in the coming season. Devan Thomas (11) said, "I have enjoyed learning from the seniors and will miss them when they leave, but I know they are off to bigger and better things."

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Recently, the Georgia High School Association (GHSA) declared dance as an official sport. In light of the news, Lee County is starting its first ever competitive dance team called Trojan Elite. The team will be labeled as a winter sport.

The GHSA Competitive Dance Invitational will be held February 16, 2019 in Jonesboro, Georgia. The GHSA areas to compete in are jazz, high kick, hip hop, and pom. The Trojan Elite team will compete in the pom category, which is a dance with cheer-like sharpness.

Since the team is a GHSA sanctioned team, the team would have to follow rules that include “accessories and apparel, lifts and stunts, and legalities on shoes” for the safety of each dancer.

The coaches include Ronald Hill (Faculty)  as head coach and Julia Ross (Faculty) as assistant coach.The coaches held tryouts November fifth and sixth and announced the new members November seventh. Team members include: Raven Bone (10), Wrenn Conley (12), Ashley Ethridge (9), Abigail Haggerty (10), Sara Jane Houston (9), Anna Logsdon (12), Lauren Elizabeth Paul (9), Breanna Pollock (11), Devan Thomas (11), Abigail Tindell (10).  

Two girls who made the team, Logsdon and Thomas, who made the team were on competition dance teams a few years back.

Logsdon was on a competition dance team at her old school in Effingham County, although her dance studio was in Savannah. When she moved to Lee county, she searched for dance studios that offered competition dance, but to no avail. So instead, Logsdon started taking regular dance classes. 

“When they announced that there was going to be a competition team I got super excited,” Logsdon said. “ I could finally compete again with some of my favorite people and I could compete on a team that’s score wouldn’t have to be averaged together with the band like danceline.”

According to the National Federation of High School Associations (NFHS), about 35,000 girls participated in drill or teams in 2016-2017.

The team will make history by being the first ever competition team in Lee County High School history.

About the Writer
Amber Greenhill, Staff Reporter

Hi my name is Amber Greenhill and I am a senior. I have been on danceline for three years now. My hope is that I can leave an impact on people.