Filed under FEATURES, STUDENTS

The past and present of the Albany fair

The+fair+only+comes+once+a+year%2C+so+friends+Austin+Casey+%2812%29%2C+Preslee+Ellis+%2811%29%2C+and+Hayley+Moore+%2812%29+spend+the+evening+playing+games+and+riding+the+rides.+Behind+them+stands+the+famous+Ferris+wheel%2C+which+fair-goers+enjoy+watching+from+miles+away.+%E2%80%9CHaving+fun+with+my+friends+was+definitely+the+best+part%2C%E2%80%9D+Casey+said.+

The past and present of the Albany fair

The fair only comes once a year, so friends Austin Casey (12), Preslee Ellis (11), and Hayley Moore (12) spend the evening playing games and riding the rides. Behind them stands the famous Ferris wheel, which fair-goers enjoy watching from miles away. “Having fun with my friends was definitely the best part,” Casey said.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

The annual Southwest Georgia fall fair in Albany has just passed. It ran from October 30 to November 4, and had many types of activities for everyone that attended.

The fair has been around for 72 years this year, and has gone through many changes. The fair was started by Ralph Allison as an attempt to unite the city of Albany. He invited many groups to participate, like FFA and 4-H.

There were a total of 7 counties that participated in the first fair. They were Dougherty, Worth, Lee, Terrell, Calhoun, Baker, and Mitchell.  

Before the fair officially began, there was even a big parade that went from the Y.M.C.A all the way to the airport.

The first SOWEGA fair was hosted at the local airport, but there is now a designated Exchange Club Fairgrounds. This area is bigger than the airport, which means it can hold more rides and activities.

Multiple students attend the fair, including Austin Casey (12). The fair brings a new spot to hang out with friends and family.

“Having fun with my friends was definitely the best part,” Casey said. “And of course the rides too.”

“My favorite part was the claw,” Sierra Soliz (11) said. “It looked really scary, and all the boys were scared to ride on it. Once we got on, the ride didn’t even last that long, but two of my friends that got on it passed out only 20 seconds into the ride. I had fun.”

Along with multiple rides, there were a variety of shows for all audiences. There was a hypnosis show, a cowboy circus, laser tag, livestock showing, and a demo derby.

“The fair created a place to genuinely have some fun times with my friends,” Paige Ford (11) said. “We had so many laughs on some of the rides and even went in the little fun houses just to make ourselves feel like little kids and have the time of our lives. The rides made us laugh our heads off and the food was also delicious!”

The dates for next year’s fair are undetermined, but they will be back to bring more fun to the community.

About the Writer
Hannah Elliott, Co-Editor

Hi, my name is Hannah Elliott, and I am a junior this year, as well as a dual enrollment student with Georgia Southwestern. I am the Co-Editor, Head Copy...