Filed under CLUBS

Club History

Club History

To get students to to join this organization, SADD member Rhiannon Belcher (11) gives students a prize for signing up.

Kate Tabor

Kate Tabor

Kate Tabor

This year, the campus is offering many clubs for students to participate in. Clubs such as FFA, FCA, HOSA, Evergreen, and many more are established to allow students to find a group to be involved in. Interaction and socializing are heavily influenced, and students get to bond and connect.

The Future Farmers of America, now known as the National FFA Organization, is a national youth organization, established at several different high schools.

The club has a long history, dating all the way back to 1917 when President Woodrow Wilson signed the Smith-Hughes National Vocational Education Act into effect. The act established both agriculture and home economics classes in schools across the states, introducing agriculture to public schools for the first time.

In 1925, several agricultural education teachers at Virginia Tech met with the Virginia state supervisor of agricultural education, Walter S. Newman, to discuss an organization designed for boys enrolled in agriculture courses. The Future Farmers of Virginia came as a result. FFA was officially established with a constitution in 1927 as an organization for African American agricultural students.

FFV’s constitution and setup served as the model for FFA. The Future Farmers of America was officially established in 1928 in Kansas City, Missouri. It has gone through many changes other the years, such as publishing  National Future Farmer magazine starting in 1952 permitting girls in 1969.

FCA is another national organization that is returning this year. The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is a Christian sports ministry aiming to impact the world for Christ through athletes and coaches. The club has always been large, with several events organized like See You at the Pole, and Chick-Fil-A fellowship times every Tuesday morning. Eric Watson (faculty) is the sponsor, and despite changes occurring, he is confident about this year.

“We lost a lot of senior leadership last year, so this year, we’re relying on a lot of new faces,” Watson said. “So far, it’s going well. They completely did Club Rush on their own . . . and in the past, I’ve always had to take care of that.”

Watson knew that the seniors last year would have to continue to shape the history and impact of FCA for the incoming students.

“We made sure that the seniors understood that they had a legacy to leave,” Watson said. “So, as we talked to them through devotions and prayer . . . we just made sure that they understood that if they wanted to make an impact for the club, and definitely make an impact for Christ, then they’d need to make sure the coming years of FCA were taken care of,” Watson said.

Every single club has history behind it. To be a part of a club’s history, students can sign up for one of the many clubs offered at the campus.

About the Writer
Jackson Carlstrom, Managing Editor

Hi, my name is Jackson Carlstrom, and I am a junior this school year. I am the managing editor for the 2018-2019 PanopticOnline staff, as well as a writing...