Competition cheer; climbing to the top

Competition cheer; climbing to the top

Smile for the judges! Kyli Reese (12) and Kady Riddle (12) give the judges a quick smile before beginning their routine. The two seniors and their team will continue to compete to get ready for region and state. “I always love standing beside my best friend in the opening,” Reese said. “I always squeeze her hand whenever I get nervous, and she squeezes back.”

Madeline Conger

Madeline Conger

Madeline Conger

As the season draws to an end, the competition is getting more intense. The  cheerleading team traveled to Johns Creek High School on October 6 to compete against some of their top competitors.

The cheer team competed against 11 other teams, and all of these teams are regular state qualifiers. The girls practiced everyday for this competition, considering it was one of the biggest.

“Johns Creek wasn’t our best performance, but I think our next one will be better,” Lizzy Davis (10) said. “We have a minor setback for a major comeback.”

The cheerleaders had one stunt fall, but they still placed 4th. Creekview, Northgate, and Alexander were the other teams that placed in the top three.

Although 4th place was not a bad placement, the cheerleaders were still hard on themselves for their mistakes.

“Our routine could have been better,” Lydia Chavers (11) said. “We were a little nervous to compete against such good teams all at once, but I think we got our jitters out.”

The girls worked very hard at practice to make sure their routine was what they wanted it to be, and they were very close to reaching one of their goals.

“I think we had higher expectations for our performance than what we actually did,” Morgan Bennett (10) said. “Our routine last weekend wasn’t anything a little practice can’t fix. I was very happy for my team and how hard we’ve been working.”

Only a few more weeks of practice and competitions are scheduled for the team. The girls will continue to compete at invitationals until it is time for region and state.

About the Contributors
Haley Owens, Staff Reporter

Hi! My name is Haley Owens, and I am a senior. I am a varsity Competition and Football Cheerleader for the high school, and I have been on varsity for...

Madeline Conger, Staff Reporter

Hi, my name is Madeline Conger, and I’m a junior this year. I am a part of both yearbook and newspaper staff this school year. This is my first year...