Filed under COLUMNS, FEATURES

By the Numbers: Marvel’s Venom and critics vs fans

Marvel's Venom is now playing at the AMC Classic Albany 16 theater. Fans of the comic book character have been anticipating the movie's release ever since it was announced.

Marvel's Venom is now playing at the AMC Classic Albany 16 theater. Fans of the comic book character have been anticipating the movie's release ever since it was announced. "I haven't seen the movie yet, but I would like to soon because I am a huge Marvel fan," Maggie Mann (11) said.

Jackson Carlstrom

Jackson Carlstrom

Jackson Carlstrom

Marvel’s Venom, released on October 25 from Sony Pictures, marks the iconic comic villains first appearance on the big screen since Spider-Man 3 back in 2007. Naturally, audiences were anticipating the film, ready to see their favorite Symbiote back in action. However, now that the film has been in theaters for some time, it is clear that the film is divisive.

The film was generally well received by the mainstream audience and Marvel fans. This is evident through Rotten Tomatoes, a website used by the film industry that gathers thousands of critical responses from both the public and professional film critics and rounds each up to an average. Venom currently has an audience score of 88%, meaning that 88% of those who went to see the film enjoyed it. However, Venom has a critic score of 31%, meaning that only 31% of film critics enjoyed the movie.

Gavin Baker (11), who went to see the movie, enjoyed it.

“The movie was very entertaining and easily understandable…The comedic one-liners and complex plot [really] enhance Venom,” Baker said.

Critics and audiences clearly have two differing opinions on the movie, one side finding the film enjoyable, while the other finds it bad, which has some confused. 

The difference in mindset between film critics and audiences may be a contributing factor. While audience members go to see movies that they are interested in seeing, critics go to just about every movie released per week and watch with a more critical mind. Professional critics are not there to enjoy the movie, they are just there to review it. That is not to say that all critics thought that way when watching the movie, but it is likely that many did.

Venom is not the only example of this difference between critics and audiences. 20th Century Fox’s film The Greatest Showman was released last December and became a sensation. The movie was a crowd-pleaser, with audiences loving it for its story and music. The film has an audience score of 87%. However, the film has a considerably lower critic score, coming in at 56%. The low critic reviews did not stop the film from being successful though.

Upon its release the movie started off slow, racking in only $8,805, 843 on its opening weekend, a very low number for a large studio film. The film’s second weekend gross however was larger than the opening weekend, making $15, 520, 732. This marks a +76.3% difference in the first and second weekend, the highest recorded increased difference between two weekends recorded for a film in wide release. This increase in attendance on its second weekend is possibly due to word of mouth from the mainstream audience, as they seemed to have enjoyed the film more than critics did.   

Just like The Greatest Showman, Venom appears to be unaffected by critic reviews. The film was the number one grossing film of the weekend for its first two weeks in the United States, and at the time of this article, has grossed around $673, 533, 603 worldwide.

Whether the film is good or bad is an opinion with no right answer. Critics and audience members view movies in different lights, and that can lead to a difference in critic reviews and an audience’s opinion on a movie.  Critics can give the film as many negative reviews as they would like, but at the end of the day the audience gets to decide if they want to see and enjoy a film.

About the Contributor
Jackson Carlstrom, Managing Editor

Hi, my name is Jackson Carlstrom, and I am a junior this school year. I am the managing editor for the 2018-2019 PanopticOnline staff, as well as a writing...