Filed under MARCHING BAND, Showcase

Marching band finishes season at Sound of Silver Invitational

The seniors and leadership of the band all wait and listen as the judges announce the final scores of the competition and hand out trophies.. The band earned straight superior scores after their successful performance.

The seniors and leadership of the band all wait and listen as the judges announce the final scores of the competition and hand out trophies.. The band earned straight superior scores after their successful performance. "It was really good," said Kamia Young (10) about their perforce and the competition. "We did really well, and everyone had a great time."

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Final competitions are always a big event. It is the final chance for a team to show the crowd what they have got. It is a grand finale. The marching band had worked hard all season to clean up their halftime show to be viewed and ranked by judges, and have been awarded for their efforts with superior ratings.

This past Saturday October 20, the marching band competed in the Sound of Silver Marching Invitational at Pierce County High School in Blackshear. Despite Hurricane Michael taking away valuable rehearsal time, the band worked hard to make this final competition the best of the season.

The band spent the entire morning working on basic marching techniques and polishing up their show before they left for Blackshear. After a few rain delays in the stadium, the band performed at 8:10 pm to roaring applause and cheers. The band competed in class 4A alongside other similar sized marching The judges announced their scores at the end of the competition during the awards show.

Drum major Maddie McMickle (10) received a superior drum major rating. The auxiliary also received a superior rating, and received the award for best auxiliary group at the competition, ranking higher than all the other school’s competing auxiliary teams. The drumline received superior ratings, and placed 2nd best drumline in class 4A. Every single band score was marked as superior.

The marching band placed 2nd in class 4A and 4th in the competition, rounding off the season with a successful competition.

“I thought it was fantastic,” Jayla Lewis (10), a member of the low brass section, said. “It was overall a really good experience for me, I had a lot of fun…I feel like we’ve had a superior season, and I hope we have a superior run next year.”

The band will continue to perform their halftime show at football games, and will participate with their show in their 2018-19 Sugar Bowl trip.

About the Writer
Jackson Carlstrom, Social Media Editor

Hi, my name is Jackson Carlstrom, and I am a junior this school year. I am the social media editor for the 2018-2019 PanopticOnline staff, as well as a...