Filed under CAMPUS NEWS

Introducing ‘PanopticOnline’

The PanopticOnline's editorial board hangs out after staff photos session. The board had fun, took pictures, and got to bond a little more. Hannah Elliott said

The PanopticOnline's editorial board hangs out after staff photos session. The board had fun, took pictures, and got to bond a little more. Hannah Elliott said "It was fun to take pictures together after the staff went inside and to bond as leaders."

Georgia Miller

Georgia Miller

The PanopticOnline, the student’s news source for Lee County High School. Written for students, by students, about students.

The class that runs the site is made up of 25 students ranging from sophomores to seniors. For some this is a journalism class while for others it is a senior English. Either way, it requires a lot of hard work that includes interviews, social media networking, and reporting.

In this class students have learned how to write journalistically, review other news sites, interview students and teachers, and report on all types of different activities going on involving students at the high school.

Recently The PanopticOnline has been refurbished and has gone through a complete overhaul. Since August the new and improved site has been up and running with new stories being published every week.

The advisory of the site, Coni Grebel (faculty), says, “The redesign takes us in a whole new direction and requires students to work with industry standard equipment. Media is changing; kids want to be interactive. We are trying to add a lot more interactive opportunities with the online site.”

Part of the end goal for the class is for it to be eventually run completely by the students. This would mean the students brainstorm, write, peer coach, copy edit, publish, and encourage each other throughout the process.

While other editors will be added as the year progresses, the editorial board that worked through the summer to get this project up and going included co-editors Georgia Miller (11) and Hannah Elliott (11), social media editor Jackson Carlstrom (11) and digital media editor Rhiannon Belcher (11).

About the Writer
Georgia Miller, Editor In Chief

Hi! My name is Georgia Katherine Miller and I am a junior this school year.  I am the Editor, the EIC, for our news site this year and I am so excited...