Broken microwaves cause student angst

Broken microwaves cause student angst

As a result of student concerns when one of the lunchroom microwaves died, the school recently purchased three new microwaves for student use -- all in Trojan red.

Madeline Conger

Madeline Conger

Madeline Conger

Many students are tired of waiting a long time to warm their food up during lunch. The school has three different microwaves, but two of them recently quit working. Now, there is only one microwave for 1,186 students to use, which is a problem when students usually have meals that take three minutes to warm up.

The broken microwaves have become an inconvenience for several students.

“I usually stand at the microwave for 15 minutes,” Brandon Bush (10) said. The long wait is a problem since every lunch is 30 – 35 minutes, which shortens up eating time.

“I really don’t bring anything to warm up anymore because of the wait,” Sharday Cagle (12) said.

Another student, La’trevia Jones (11), said, “  always bring something that has to go in the microwave,  so I just have to rush.”

When more students have to use the microwave, it makes it a bigger problem. Some students even get to the point where they eat their food cold.

“I just needed one minute, but others in front of me had meals that needed to be warmed for three to four minutes,” Raven Brown (12) said.