Filed under HUMANS OF LEE, Showcase

Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Chris Kim

Chris+Kim+%2811%29+is+an+exceptional+student+with+many+talents%2C+bobbies%2C+and+accomplishments.+He+is+a+great+representative+for+the+excellence+Lee+County+schools+strive+for.+

Chris Kim (11) is an exceptional student with many talents, bobbies, and accomplishments. He is a great representative for the excellence Lee County schools strive for.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Starting a club can be a strenuous process. It is rarely done by sophomores because they are the youngest at the school, and they have less of a ground to start anything on. Chris Kim (11) started a club as a sophomore called Evergreen Environmental, and it is now heading into its second year of activity.

He started it as a way for others to gain knowledge of the environmental issues plaguing society that are rarely talked about. The club’s official mission is, “To spread awareness and educate our peers on environmental issues and their solutions, and to work towards a greener LCHS.”

Kim and his friends have put in a lot of hours to ensure that Evergreen runs smoothly and is really successful.

Gavin Baker (11) said, “It is student led and student run. Evergreen participates in a variety of events to shape the world and raise [environmental] awareness.”

Kim said, ”Evergreen [does not] have to do any big things to be a successful club. If we at least inform people about environmental issues, then you never know how it could affect them later in their lives. Every little thing counts.”

Kim is not only known for his Evergreen involvement. Bhavya Gupta (12) said Chris is “genuine, intelligent and funny once you get to know him.”

Kim’s peers recognize all of his academic efforts. Out of all of the students in the class of 2020, he has taken the most Advanced Placement (AP) courses. For the 2018-2019 school year, he is taking three AP sciences, with two being online.

Science is one of Kim’s many passions. In fact, he is participating in the Governor’s Honor Program (GHP) for science. GHP is a teacher nominated program for students to explore the subjects they are talented in. This is his second year involved, with him being a semi-finalist last school year.

One of his biggest achievements so far was when his research got published in the Journal of Emerging Investigators, a science journal operated by graduate students at Harvard University. The manuscript was titled “Characterization of drought tolerance in Arabidopsis mutant fry1-6.”

Kim’s research was about genetic variations among mouse ear cress. He identified genetic variation among plant variables by examining physical characteristics of the plants, in addition to testing plant water loss and water uptake from soil. Since his research was conducted under conditions of drought, it is applicable to finding solutions to food scarcity in a global environment.

“I have been interested in the natural world so I wanted to learn more about the scientific research process,” Kim said. “The research I conducted is especially relevant to me because I have enjoyed growing plants since childhood.”

This relates to one of his after school hobbies. Something his peers do not know is that he breeds his own Venus fly traps.

Many wonder how he has so much free time to accomplish all of these things. He has little to no distractions, because his family does not own a t.v. and he is not active in any platform of social media. He does, however, make sure to take a break every now and then to hang out with his close friends.

Gupta said, “I am proud to know him: the man the myth, the legend, Chris Kim.”

About the Writers
Hannah Elliott, Co-Editor

Hi, my name is Hannah Elliott, and I am a junior this year, as well as a dual enrollment student with Georgia Southwestern. I am the Co-Editor, Head Copy...

Georgia Miller, Editor In Chief

Hi! My name is Georgia Katherine Miller and I am a junior this school year.  I am the Editor, the EIC, for our news site this year and I am so excited...

1 Comment

One Response to “Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Chris Kim”

1. Alice Hathcock on February 10th, 2019 10:11 pm

Chris Kim and Abby Hughes prime examples af great kids!

• Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Chris Kim

HUMANS OF LEE

Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Abby Hughes

HUMANS OF LEE

Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Khrstyn Bais

HUMANS OF LEE

Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Maddie McMickle

HUMANS OF LEE

Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Lindsey Ethridge

PANOPTIC POLLS

Where is the best beach for spring break?

FEATURES

How To Find the Perfect Valentine

• SLIDESHOWS

Students Switching Gears

ACADEMIA

Forensic footprints

PHOTO OF THE DAY

New rings, who’s this?

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Bittersweet memories