Varsity football demolishes Warner Robins in post-hurricane game


Georgia Miller

Trojans prepared for the defense as whistle is blown.

After Hurricane Michael hit southwest Georgia, the Trojan players and coaches were devastated by the destruction it brought to the community.

The first region game of the season, originally set for less than 48 hours after Michael hit Leesburg, was postponed to Saturday afternoon. Even with most players not having power or running water, they put their mind on the Northside of Warner Robins game so they could bring a W back for their hometown.

#72 Parker Rodgers (11) said, “It was hard to just leave our town that was just hit by the hurricane, but our minds were set that winning would give people hope to push through the hurricane.”

The game started with the Eagles kicking off, and that’s when the action began. Throughout the first quarter, both sides of defense kept the game even, leaving the score at the first quarter 0-0.

Going into the second quarter, the Trojans started off strong with a 14 yard field goal by #99 Austin Beaver (11), making the score 3-0, Trojans leading. 

Georgia Miller
Austin Beaver #99 (11) sets off a “beaver fever” with field goal kick.


Although the Trojans put points on the board first, the Eagles came back to score a touchdown with seven minutes to go in the quarter, making the score 7-3 with the PAT going into the halftime.

The Trojans were eager to get back on the field during halftime, and they came back with a bang. Only three minutes into the second half, #17 Kyle Toole (11) passed the ball 52 yards to #5 Daveon Sanders (12), gaining Lee County’s first touchdown of the game and making the score 10-7.

As the game carried on, the Trojans continued to stay strong with a 60 yard kick return by #6 Jammie Robinson (12) gaining another touchdown for the Trojans. The score at the end of the third quarter was 17-7, Trojans leading.

Georgia Miller
Jamie Robinson #6 (12) runs the ball down the field in the first half.

The fourth quarter carried on with both defenses staying strong. But  in the end, the Trojans came through with the final touchdown of the night by #21 Preston Simmons (10), ending the game with a score of 24-7.

The boys brought home the first region of the season to a destroyed community. The win got the community back on their feet and excited for the rest of the season.

The next region game is October 19 against powerhouse Valdosta and will be hosted at Trojan Field at 7:30 pm.