Filed under HUMANS OF LEE, Showcase

Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Khrstyn Bais

At the international food fair  at St. Teresa's. Catholic Church, Maggie Krysten Bais (12) suggests taking pictures outside. Maggie Nguyen said,

At the international food fair at St. Teresa's. Catholic Church, Maggie Krysten Bais (12) suggests taking pictures outside. Maggie Nguyen said, "It really turned into a mini-photoshoot." The food fair was an event with multiple cultures represented by Lee County students.

Maggie Nguyen

Maggie Nguyen

“Khrstyn is one of the most charming and talented people I’ve ever met. . . . she’s beautiful inside and out. ” – Maggie Nguyen (12)

Trojans come in many shapes and sizes, and each one leaves an impact on the school for the following classes to come. Khrstyn Bais (12) might blend in with the crowd at a glance, but her hard work sets her apart from her fellow classmates

Though she is not in the Trojan Marching Band, Bais enjoys music and plays both the piano and the guitar.

Music has always been a huge part of my life,” Bais said. “My father grew up playing the guitar and singing, and his mother had a passion for singing as well. My mom and her father also love to sing, so singing around is basically part of their routine. I started singing when I was around five, when my mom and I practically used the karaoke machine (a staple in every Filipino household) every day. I began taking piano lessons when I was six and was classically trained. I also began teaching myself guitar when I was twelve and picked the ukulele when I was fourteen. Music is way for to express how I feel, since I tend to be a reserved person, and also gives me an outlet to lift up my talents to God.”

Religion plays an important role in Bais’ life. She is active at Saint Teresa’s Catholic Church, which inspired her to help create a school-wide Youth Ministry, which meets every Friday morning in Mrs. Trussell’s room. She plays her guitar and leads others in worship songs.

Towards the end of my junior year, my friend Rachel asked me if I would interested in starting a morning worship with her on Friday mornings,” Bais said. “She asked me to come with her to ask our guidance counselor (mostly because she can be a shy person as well) and as her good friend, I agreed to help and be by her side whenever. I pushed her to start this student ministry because our faith has always been a major part of our lives, and it is a time we set aside in our busy schedules, and come together to remind ourselves as Christians what our real mission is on Earth: to spread the Word of God, to praise God, and to treat others with the same kindness He has bestowed on us.”

Bais values her education and works hard to ensure her success.

Growing up in any traditional Asian household, there comes with it a true stereotype,” Bais said. “[Like} pressure to reach these implied expectations that our parents set for us. I can attest on multiple occasions where I felt like I was not academically successful enough for my parents, which takes a toll on my self-esteem and confidence. However, over these four years, I’ve learned that the only opinions of myself that matter are mine and God’s. Although I still struggle with doubts in my abilities, I’ve began to do my best and to trust in God’s plan for me.”

“As of right now,” Bais said. “I am in the process of applying to Augusta University and the University of Georgia to major in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, respectively. I might apply to Kennesaw State University and Tulane University as well, but I do not know for sure. I hope to graduate with a doctorate degree and become an oncologist or radiologist so I can treat cancer patients.

Maggie Nguyen (12) is a close friend of Bais’ and spends a large amount of time with her. Nguyen had nothing but good things to say about her friend.

Nguyen said, “I take it as a compliment when people mix the two of us up. She is the definition of small but mighty.”

About the Writer
Hannah Elliott, Co-Editor

Hi, my name is Hannah Elliott, and I am a junior this year, as well as a dual enrollment student with Georgia Southwestern. I am the Co-Editor, Head Copy...

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Khrstyn Bais”

1. William Dozier on October 3rd, 2018 9:06 am

Music has been a big part of my life since the 7th grade, when i began learning the saxophone.

2. Matthew Cater on October 3rd, 2018 11:03 am

Rifle has been a big part of my life since the beginning of my high school career. It has helped me keep my grades up as well as winning many things and meeting new people along the way. Without rifle I wouldn’t know what I would be doing outside of high school. It is what I’m getting a scholarship and going to college for, and I plan on going places with it.

3. Undrey moore on October 3rd, 2018 11:29 am

The army has been a big part of my life since I was little. It has kept me focused on school and it has help me become the person I am today. Without my recruiter and parents I wouldn’t have anything to aim for, therefore I’m going to keep my head high and complete highschool.

4. Joey LeBlanc on October 3rd, 2018 12:08 pm

I love Khrstyn! She’s one of my favorite people on the world, and I always love seeing her everyday. We meet up during Youth Ministry every Friday, and I love to hear her sing about our God. I always look forward to going to Youth Ministry because of everyone that goes, and I love to hear her sing.

5. Maggie Nguyen on October 3rd, 2018 12:19 pm

I absolutely love this article about one of my favorite people! It does a great job of highlighting all the things people may not know about her. The article also reminds me of how much Khrstyn and I have in common and why we are close friends.

6. Erin Epperson on October 3rd, 2018 1:33 pm

Such a good story!! It’s crazy to see the impact music has on different peoples’ lives.

7. Malica Casey on October 3rd, 2018 2:05 pm

I am friends with Khrstyn and it is great to see her recognized. The article is a great insight into what Khrstyn wants to do and what motivates her. I hope to see even more interesting profile stories like this one.

• Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Khrstyn Bais

HUMANS OF LEE

Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Maddie McMickle

HUMANS OF LEE

Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Lindsey Ethridge

COLUMNS

By the Numbers: Marvel’s Venom and critics vs fans

ACADEMIA

Scholarship searching

FEATURES

The past and present of the Albany fair

CAMPUS NEWS

The hard work put into telling the story of the school year

SLIDESHOWS

Painted Parking Final Results

FOOTBALL

Head to Head match up against the Coffee Trojans

SLIDESHOWS

Homecoming Court

SLIDESHOWS

Lee County Volleyball

No announcement available or all announcement expired.