Filed under CAMPUS NEWS, Showcase

Yearbook staff offers new senior ad discount contest

Once graduation actually hits, all of high school becomes nothing more than a memory. Past seniors who opened their yearbooks to find senior ads with their names across the top agreed that the feeling was a pretty special one. But ads, along with other senior expenses, can hurt the wallet.  The PanopticOnline staff has teamed up with the yearbook staff to offer a chance for two seniors to lessen the pain on the bank account.

Once graduation actually hits, all of high school becomes nothing more than a memory. Past seniors who opened their yearbooks to find senior ads with their names across the top agreed that the feeling was a pretty special one. But ads, along with other senior expenses, can hurt the wallet. The PanopticOnline staff has teamed up with the yearbook staff to offer a chance for two seniors to lessen the pain on the bank account.

Maggie Nguyen

Maggie Nguyen

With the senior deadline of November 15 approaching, the Trojan19 yearbook staff announces a new contest that promises to yield two winners – each one receiving a $25 discount on the purchase of a senior ad. The competition is limited to seniors, and it will only take place during POW – Panoptic Online Week, October 1-5.

“That’s a really big discount,” yearbook advisor Coni Grebel (faculty) said, “when you consider that ads can run anywhere from $75 to $350. But the yearbook staff and the Panoptic staff work closely together in lots of ways. This is one way the yearbookers thought they could help generate more readership for PanopticOnline during this special week.”

To qualify for a chance at winning the discount, seniors must go to the PanopticOnline news site during the week of Oct.1-5, read articles there, and make a comment on an article. There is no limit to the number of articles a student, or any other reader for that matter, can comment on, but for every comment made by a senior, the seniors name will be entered into a drawing.

“So if he or she comments on one article, the name is put into the drawing one time,” Grebel said. “If that same students goes back in the next day and comments of five more articles, the name is entered five more times. The more comments, the higher the chances of having your name drawn.”

Comments must be school appropriate and must relate directly to the article.

“For instance,” Grebel said, “there is an article about how people were asked to the homecoming dance. At the end of that article, readers are asked to comment and enter their own stories of homecoming ‘proposals’. But an article doesn’t have to ask for comments in order to receive them. The PanopticOnline staffers really want people to comment on their work.”

Presently there are 35 articles published on the news site, but more articles are being written, copy edited, and published each day. By the end of the contest week, there should be over 80 articles published, all about events involving the school and all written by the 26 students on the newspaper staff.

Seniors who have already purchased an ad are still qualified for the competition. If a selected winner had already purchased their ad space, they will get a $25 refund from the staff.

The drawing will be held on October 5, and the winners announced on through PanopticOnline and through social media.

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Yearbook staff offers new senior ad discount contest”

1. Harrison Strickland on October 3rd, 2018 11:12 am

This is a great idea and could end up really helping someone that needs it. Most seniors want senior ads, but some can’t afford them; so this is a cool way to involve students to possibly reward them in the end.

2. Morgan haire on October 3rd, 2018 2:50 pm

This could help someone who does not want to pay full price for a ad but still wants a ad for their senior year.

3. Morgan Haire on October 3rd, 2018 2:52 pm

It will help people who want a ad, but their parents can’t afford a senior ad.

4. Jason Alvarez on October 4th, 2018 9:26 am

Let’s all be honest here; the main reason we commented on this article is to win [a drawing], but I actually read it, and it’s not too bad.

5. Kenslee Brock on October 4th, 2018 9:32 am

This is a really smart idea because this could help students who could not afford an ad at the moment purchase one. This idea is really helpful for those who are tight on money due to personal matters also.

6. Carleen Schmidt on October 4th, 2018 9:44 am

I believe this would help many of those who are low on money to purchase a senior ad. Even though it is only $25, it could still help the ones who need it to finish paying the amount due. Many believe that they can not get a senior ad because of financial issues, but this could show someone that they could save their money up to get an ad eventually.

7. Haley Owens on October 4th, 2018 12:30 pm

This offer is so awesome. Senior year is so expensive, and you don’t even realize it until you’re living it. You have to pay for senior pictures, pay for supplies, pay for a parking pass, and then pay for your senior ads. It is extremely hard finding someone who is able to take your pictures at a decent time of the year, because they are already booked up. Senior pictures get more expensive, and prices for ads go up the longer you wait. Getting this $25 drawing offer is awesome, because $25 is a huge difference in a big price.

8. Cole Eubanks on October 5th, 2018 12:03 am

This is great for the people that can’t afford the expensive ads or other fees that come with buying a yearbook. I really like this, and it gives less fortunate kids the chance to actually get a yearbook at a smaller price while still having fun writing and reading articles about their school.

• Yearbook staff offers new senior ad discount contest

CAMPUS NEWS

Cancer week continues

CAMPUS NEWS

The hard work put into telling the story of the school year

CAMPUS NEWS

Fear the needle

CAMPUS NEWS

Hurricane Michael hits home

CAMPUS NEWS

Introducing ‘PanopticOnline’

CAMPUS NEWS

Broken microwaves cause student angst

CAMPUS NEWS

Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

School events conflict with homecoming dates

CAMPUS NEWS

IF, ELT, PRIDE: Acronyms that might, might not mean the same thing

CAMPUS NEWS

Soccer, track, tennis get new sports arenas

No announcement available or all announcement expired.