Yearbook staff offers new senior ad discount contest

Once graduation actually hits, all of high school becomes nothing more than a memory. Past seniors who opened their yearbooks to find senior ads with their names across the top agreed that the feeling was a pretty special one. But ads, along with other senior expenses, can hurt the wallet.  The PanopticOnline staff has teamed up with the yearbook staff to offer a chance for two seniors to lessen the pain on the bank account.

Once graduation actually hits, all of high school becomes nothing more than a memory. Past seniors who opened their yearbooks to find senior ads with their names across the top agreed that the feeling was a pretty special one. But ads, along with other senior expenses, can hurt the wallet. The PanopticOnline staff has teamed up with the yearbook staff to offer a chance for two seniors to lessen the pain on the bank account.

Maggie Nguyen

Maggie Nguyen

Maggie Nguyen

With the senior deadline of November 15 approaching, the Trojan19 yearbook staff announces a new contest that promises to yield two winners – each one receiving a $25 discount on the purchase of a senior ad. The competition is limited to seniors, and it will only take place during POW – Panoptic Online Week, October 1-5.

“That’s a really big discount,” yearbook advisor Coni Grebel (faculty) said, “when you consider that ads can run anywhere from $75 to $350. But the yearbook staff and the Panoptic staff work closely together in lots of ways. This is one way the yearbookers thought they could help generate more readership for PanopticOnline during this special week.”

To qualify for a chance at winning the discount, seniors must go to the PanopticOnline news site during the week of Oct.1-5, read articles there, and make a comment on an article. There is no limit to the number of articles a student, or any other reader for that matter, can comment on, but for every comment made by a senior, the seniors name will be entered into a drawing.

“So if he or she comments on one article, the name is put into the drawing one time,” Grebel said. “If that same students goes back in the next day and comments of five more articles, the name is entered five more times. The more comments, the higher the chances of having your name drawn.”

Comments must be school appropriate and must relate directly to the article.

“For instance,” Grebel said, “there is an article about how people were asked to the homecoming dance. At the end of that article, readers are asked to comment and enter their own stories of homecoming ‘proposals’. But an article doesn’t have to ask for comments in order to receive them. The PanopticOnline staffers really want people to comment on their work.”

Presently there are 35 articles published on the news site, but more articles are being written, copy edited, and published each day. By the end of the contest week, there should be over 80 articles published, all about events involving the school and all written by the 26 students on the newspaper staff.

Seniors who have already purchased an ad are still qualified for the competition. If a selected winner had already purchased their ad space, they will get a $25 refund from the staff.

The drawing will be held on October 5, and the winners announced on through PanopticOnline and through social media.