Filed under COLUMNS, FEATURES

By the Numbers: August Films

These+are+the+movie+posters+for+a+few+of+the+films+released+in+August.+Many+people+were+excited+for+the+release+of+Crazy+Rich+Asians.+%22I+really+enjoyed+the+movie%2C%22+Madeline+Conger+%2811%29+said.+

By the Numbers: August Films

These are the movie posters for a few of the films released in August. Many people were excited for the release of Crazy Rich Asians.

These are the movie posters for a few of the films released in August. Many people were excited for the release of Crazy Rich Asians. "I really enjoyed the movie," Madeline Conger (11) said.

Jackson Carlstrom

Jackson Carlstrom

Jackson Carlstrom

The movie industry is a very competitive market, with films being produced and released by major companies like Disney, Fox, Warner Brothers, and other huge studios. Fridays are the usual day for a studio to release a film to theaters so that the film can open up for the weekend and make money. Last month proved to be a tough fight, with Disney, Warner Brothers, and several other studios releasing new movies.

August generally marks the end of the “summer blockbuster season”. Throughout the summer this year, Disney has ruled at the box office, with “Avengers: Infinity War” grossing over 2 billion dollars worldwide (joining the ranks of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”, “Titanic”, and “Avatar” as the only films to gross over 2 billion) and The Incredibles 2 grossing over 1 billion worldwide, with $604,722,785 of the money coming from the US alone. However, August proved to be more successful for Disney’s competition.

The month opened up on the weekend of August 3rd-5th. “Mission Impossible: Fallout”, released by Paramount, was number one at the box office, grossing $35,323,815 in its second weekend of release. Disney’s “Christopher Robin” also released this weekend but placed 2nd behind “Fallout” with a gross of $24,585,139.

The weekend of August 10th-12th saw Warner Brother’s shark thriller “The Meg” sink its teeth into “Fallout”, claiming the number one spot with an opening weekend gross of $45,402,195. It didn’t have much competition in terms of other films opening alongside it, with the only other wide release film being Sony’s “Slender Man”, which grossed $11,371,866 on its opening weekend and placed 4th at the box office.

Warner Brother’s romantic comedy “Crazy Rich Asians” released early on Wednesday, August 15th, and went on to top the box office at number one on the weekend of August 17th-19th, grossing $26,510,140. The film continued to hold on to the number one spot through the rest of August, grossing $24,808,202 its second weekend, and $21,964,345 its third. In terms of gross from weekend to weekend, the film had a drop of just -6.4% from its first weekend to its second, which is phenomenal and almost unheard of for a movie.

“It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be,” Said Carra Bell (12), who saw the film back in August. “Walking in, I thought it was going to be like, just a cheesy romantic comedy, like it wasn’t going to have that much meaning to it, but I enjoyed it… I though it was very sweet.”

August was a success for companies like Paramount and Warner Brothers after the Disney-dominated previous months. The August films mark off the end of a successful summer blockbuster season.

About the Contributor
Jackson Carlstrom, Co-Editor

Hi, my name is Jackson Carlstrom, and I am a junior this school year. I am a Co-Editor for the 2018-2019 PanopticOnline staff. Writing is my passion, it...