School events conflict with homecoming dates

The Student Government Association prepares the school’s front windows for homecoming week. Even though many students would be unable to attend the homecoming dance, SGA went all out in decorating the school with streamers, posters, and colorful sheets to motivate students to become more spirited.

C. Grebel

C. Grebel

C. Grebel

Homecoming day will be filled with events for multiple groups of students on campus. Marching band, varsity cheerleaders and cross country runners are each competing in a competition while other students will be attending other events out of town.

The Marching Trojan Band will be competing at their first band competition in Cairo, GA. The band will compete against other bands of similar size. The number of bands competiting will not be determined until the competition is coming close to its start.  The competition begins at 7:30 and will last about five hours depending on the number of bands present. Emily Young (11) said, “This competition happens every year. It just happened to fall on the same day [as homecoming]. I’m glad we have an opportunity to come home early.”

A majority of the band is not expected to get back to Lee County until 4:30, as there will be one bus that will take 50 students back to the high school at 2:30, and the rest of the band will take the later bus. Many of the band members who are attending homecoming only hours later will only have a few hours to clean up and get ready for pictures, dinner, and ultimately the homecoming dance.

The varsity competition cheerleading team also has their first competition this Saturday. Eighteen girls will take a bus to Houston County to compete alongside a number of other teams from across Georgia. The cheer team will be heading back to get ready for the dance as soon as they finish performing their routine. 

A cross country meet will also be held on September 15 at Bainbridge High School. The meet begins at 8 in the morning and is estimated to last until 11 am. Conrad Olsen (12) said, “It’s routine. We’ve always had a meet on homecoming, so it’s nothing new. [Having the meet on homecoming] makes it harder for the girls than the guys.”