Filed under CAMPUS NEWS, Showcase

School events conflict with homecoming dates

The Student Government Association prepares the school’s front windows for homecoming week. Even though many students would be unable to attend the homecoming dance, SGA went all out in decorating the school with streamers, posters, and colorful sheets to motivate students to become more spirited.

C. Grebel

C. Grebel

Homecoming day will be filled with events for multiple groups of students on campus. Marching band, varsity cheerleaders and cross country runners are each competing in a competition while other students will be attending other events out of town.

The Marching Trojan Band will be competing at their first band competition in Cairo, GA. The band will compete against other bands of similar size. The number of bands competiting will not be determined until the competition is coming close to its start.  The competition begins at 7:30 and will last about five hours depending on the number of bands present. Emily Young (11) said, “This competition happens every year. It just happened to fall on the same day [as homecoming]. I’m glad we have an opportunity to come home early.”

A majority of the band is not expected to get back to Lee County until 4:30, as there will be one bus that will take 50 students back to the high school at 2:30, and the rest of the band will take the later bus. Many of the band members who are attending homecoming only hours later will only have a few hours to clean up and get ready for pictures, dinner, and ultimately the homecoming dance.

The varsity competition cheerleading team also has their first competition this Saturday. Eighteen girls will take a bus to Houston County to compete alongside a number of other teams from across Georgia. The cheer team will be heading back to get ready for the dance as soon as they finish performing their routine. 

A cross country meet will also be held on September 15 at Bainbridge High School. The meet begins at 8 in the morning and is estimated to last until 11 am. Conrad Olsen (12) said, “It’s routine. We’ve always had a meet on homecoming, so it’s nothing new. [Having the meet on homecoming] makes it harder for the girls than the guys.”

About the Writer
Madeline Conger, Staff Reporter

Hi, my name is Madeline Conger, and I’m a junior this year. I am a part of both yearbook and newspaper staff this school year. This is my first year...

5 Comments

5 Responses to “School events conflict with homecoming dates”

1. Hannah Elliott on October 3rd, 2018 12:15 pm

It is weird how so many things were scheduled on this day, even though they knew homecoming would be on this day. At least most had the opportunity to go to the dance.

2. Peyton Hart on October 3rd, 2018 12:21 pm

So many things were going on during that homecoming day. I didn’t even know about a lot of these events. It is also convenient that the marching band has an opportunity to get back early to get ready for the dance.

3. chambliss williams on October 3rd, 2018 12:33 pm

I like how they wrote about the marching band is leaving the day of homecoming while they come back later on from their competition and getting ready within a couple hours.

4. Kyli Reese on October 4th, 2018 9:33 am

Homecoming day was as stressful as it can get. I am a cheerleader, so I was performing in Houston County. We got on the bus that morning around 10 or 11 A.M. We competed around 2 P.M. As soon as we got off the mat, our coach allowed us to leave with our parents. She stayed and collected our awards while a lot of us began to get ready in the car on the way home. All glamoured up, the cheerleaders made it. Not only was it a good day because we made it, but it was comforting knowing we were not the only athletes in the same boat. All was good though because everyone made it home in time to attend our school dance.

5. Juanita Prias on October 7th, 2018 12:35 pm

I think that the homecoming was really early this year, and we didn’t notice how fast the time passed, and I honestly got my dress like a week before the dance . About the competitions, I think is something that we can’t change because is not just about else county other schools participate in those competitions, and I don’t think that their homecoming was the same day. The day of the dance is really stressful because we are trying to look really good, and the competitions have us less time to get ready. And you did a really good job with the article .

• School events conflict with homecoming dates

CAMPUS NEWS

Cancer week continues

CAMPUS NEWS

The hard work put into telling the story of the school year

CAMPUS NEWS

Fear the needle

CAMPUS NEWS

Hurricane Michael hits home

CAMPUS NEWS

Introducing ‘PanopticOnline’

CAMPUS NEWS

Broken microwaves cause student angst

CAMPUS NEWS

Yearbook staff offers new senior ad discount contest

CAMPUS NEWS

Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

IF, ELT, PRIDE: Acronyms that might, might not mean the same thing

CAMPUS NEWS

Soccer, track, tennis get new sports arenas

No announcement available or all announcement expired.