Filed under CAMPUS NEWS, Showcase

IF, ELT, PRIDE: Acronyms that might, might not mean the same thing

Studying for tests is often what people will find in ELT time.  Colin Blakey (12) is studying for an upcoming test.

Studying for tests is often what people will find in ELT time. Colin Blakey (12) is studying for an upcoming test.

Grace Faucheux

Grace Faucheux

Changes have been made to the high school this year, such as new hallways, floors, and even a new building added onto the school. There were also a couple of changes with academics. In the past on even block days, the school had a period called IF, which stood for instructional focus. This was a time that students could catch up on their work, but this year, according to  Hank Wright (faculty), the leadership team decided to change IF into two different segments called ELT and PRIDE.

Students are confused on why they split IF into two parts. Beth Green (faculty) said, “ELT time [Extended Learning Time] is for remediation, extra time for students to catch up on any work, or if they need extra help on something they’re not understanding.”

She also explained the purpose of PRIDE.

Green said, “PRIDE time is our PBIS initiative.” PBIs is the school’s acronym for Positive Behavior Initiative for Students.   

This year, students were able to pick their ELT and PRIDE classes, which was an unusual thing. Megan Elam (faculty), another assistant principal, said, “Students were able to pick these classes because we want to give students a choice in what they want to learn.” Most students picked classes that they were interested in or that they knew they were probably going to need extra help in.

ELT and IF really do not differ from each other. Just like IF, in ELT, students can catch up on any work that they are late on and can also get plenty of remediation. The only difference is PRIDE. PRIDE is after fourth period. In PRIDE, the teachers are given different activities to share with students to show the PBIS initiative. Sometimes during PRIDE, students who are in good standing are rewarded with special treats.

So, in reality, the school still has an IF period. It is just split up into two parts of the day.

About the Writer
Aniya Gardner, Staff Reporter

My name is Aniya Gardner. I am a senior at lee County High School of Leesburg, GA. I work at Zaxby’s located on N. Slappey. One of the things I like...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “IF, ELT, PRIDE: Acronyms that might, might not mean the same thing”

1. Justin Goins on October 4th, 2018 9:17 am

When it comes to IF, ELT, and PRIDE, I feel that they should have stuck with IF instead of splitting it up. For example, if you had multiple classes to make up work, you would want the full 90 min to get stuff done instead of the 45 min that you have now. In my opinion, it benefited the students to have more time to work and prepare in a 90 min time period than a 45 min time period, allowing you to get more work finished and more time to meet with the teacher to make sure you understand what’s going on in the class. The PBIS can be taken out of this time if the student doesn’t have any makeup work or not failing.

2. dashawn king on October 4th, 2018 9:21 am

I think PRIDE time was a good addition this year. Students can have extra time to study and make up work .

3. Grace Faucheux on October 4th, 2018 12:23 pm

This article is so well written. It really describes the differences and similarities between IF, ELT, and PRIDE. I like how fluently the process is described. It is tied together very well.

4. Kaelyn King on October 5th, 2018 9:39 pm

This is a good article to explain the differences between ELT and PRIDE and what they are used for. It was a big change for former students who attended when IF was around, but it makes sense that they split it apart.

• IF, ELT, PRIDE: Acronyms that might, might not mean the same thing

CAMPUS NEWS

Cancer week continues

CAMPUS NEWS

The hard work put into telling the story of the school year

CAMPUS NEWS

Fear the needle

CAMPUS NEWS

Hurricane Michael hits home

CAMPUS NEWS

Introducing ‘PanopticOnline’

CAMPUS NEWS

Broken microwaves cause student angst

CAMPUS NEWS

Yearbook staff offers new senior ad discount contest

CAMPUS NEWS

Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

School events conflict with homecoming dates

CAMPUS NEWS

Soccer, track, tennis get new sports arenas

No announcement available or all announcement expired.