Filed under CAMPUS NEWS, SLIDESHOWS

Unbreakable kickball feud

An intense game begins during third block.

Emily Weiss

Emily Weiss

Kentucky had the Hatfield and McCoys.  But another feud much closer, yet just an intense, can be found inside the walls of the LCHS gym.

The feud between Coach Jason Butler (faculty) and Coach Kirven Davis (faculty)  in kickball is an ongoing tradition. It has been running for three years, and each team has their different views from one another. The coaches try to keep things fun and less serious.

Danny Lin (12) is in Coach Davis’s third period. “I think that Butler goes above and beyond in order to ensure his team’s victory,” Lin said. “He uses random and ‘made up’ rules that disqualify integrity and sportsmanship in the sport of kickball.”

“It’s kind of like the Harlem Globetrotters and the Generals,” Butler said. “Coach Davis’ third period always shows up ready to play but just can’t seem to win.” When facing the heavy acquisitions of  “cheating” or “making up rules,” Butler and Davis always bring in a third party, someoone who is usually there to break up the controversy of a call made between the coaches.

When asked to have a official game of kickball among the classes, Lin said, “Considering that this is only a minor game taking place at school, I feel like there would be no reason for umpires and it would only make the kickball game more serious. It would take the fun away from the game.”

Butler has a different response to the question. “I’m always okay with a fair and legal game,” Butler said.

The feud between these two is a tradition that has yet to be broken. Lin said, “Honestly, I think that it’s pretty childish that Butler and Davis are arguing so much over an unofficial game of kickball that will be forgotten the next day.”

But like with the legendary Hatfield and McCoys, the feuding is half the fun. Butler and Davis continue their third period battles with a kickball every block day, all in good fun. Their students have learned that just in case things become more feisty than fun, they are probably gonna play it safe – and  side with whichever of the two controls the gradebook.

About the Contributors
Gage Fordham, Staff Reporter

Hi, my name is Gage Fordham. I like to hunt, fish, and hang out with my buddies. When I finish high school I plan on attending South Georgia Technical...

Emily Weiss, Staff Reporter

My name is Emily Weiss. I am a senior here at Lee County High School.  I am involved in FFA and love to show cows. I ride horses and I am always up to...

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Unbreakable kickball feud”

1. Jordan heath on October 3rd, 2018 9:11 am

When I read this article by Danny I think to myself this sounds exactly like how our coaches will act for such a fun game. But that is the thing: they’re not doing it to be rude or try and be a bad coach. They like to sometimes twist the game because it makes it more fun and interesting. I personally witnessed this game last year when I was in 11th grade personal fitness. I loved it. I felt like I was at home with my friends. I was having more fun than just playing a game, trying to take it seriously and not have any fun at all.

2. Emily Duncan on October 3rd, 2018 12:20 pm

It’s crazy to watch them play kickball in third period. One team is really good in the outfield and catching the ball while the other is good at kicking and running the bases. It keeps the scores pretty even. Although, I do believe the rules should be straightened out some so it doesn’t cause so much arguing and confusion between teams.

3. Brayland Fordham on October 4th, 2018 9:03 am

I played Coach Butler in 4th period one day and let me say, yes, changing the rules may be more fun, but when you keep doing it, it becomes irritating. We played hard, and it got very serious, but I never wanna play against him in kickball again — not because he won, but because of changing the rules so much.

4. Logan Conyers on October 4th, 2018 9:15 am

I personally think this sounds like fun. We should have a school wide tournament based off ELT periods and see who comes out on top.

5. Serenity Waters on October 4th, 2018 9:18 am

This article is very interesting and entertaining. I believe that there should not be any rules to this game but overall it seems like this tradition makes the game of kickball very fun.

6. Ashley Herrod on October 4th, 2018 9:25 am

When I was in tenth grade, I was in Coach Butler’s fourth period team sports class. Sometimes on block days, we’d play kickball with Coach Davis’s class. I personally don’t like playing kickball ever since I got hit in the face with a kickball while playing it in fifth grade. Even though I hate it, it was still fun to watch how competitive the two coaches got. Also, I can testify that Coach Butler does cheat and make up rules to win.

7. Erica Braswell on October 4th, 2018 9:35 am

Being in Couch Butler’s class last year gave me the experience to participate in the game. I think that it was actually quite fine if I must say. When your adrenaline starts pumping and the excitement in the gym is all around you, the competition is at its best. I think that it is nice to see the two coaches have a little rivalry. It keeps everyone on their toes.

8. Gage Fordham on October 4th, 2018 12:31 pm

Playing kickball in gym brought back memories of elementary school when every day me and my buddies played kickball outside for recess or freshman year when we had field day. And we had a kickball tournament between all the classes and Mrs. Green’s class (us) almost won the whole thing. Man, the good ole days!

• Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

Cancer week continues

• Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

The hard work put into telling the story of the school year

• Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

Fear the needle

• Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

Hurricane Michael hits home

• Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

Introducing ‘PanopticOnline’

• Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

Broken microwaves cause student angst

• Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

Yearbook staff offers new senior ad discount contest

• Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

School events conflict with homecoming dates

• Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

IF, ELT, PRIDE: Acronyms that might, might not mean the same thing

• Unbreakable kickball feud

CAMPUS NEWS

Soccer, track, tennis get new sports arenas

No announcement available or all announcement expired.
Unbreakable kickball feud