Filed under FEATURES

Best Books For Casual Reading

man reading a book.vintage colour effected photo.

There are many people in the world that truly enjoy reading books. Some like adventure. Some like mystery. There are some that do it for the excitement. Some for the urge to fuel their imagination with the author’s style of term.

Then there are people that don’t do it for the thrill but just to fill the boring void of everyday life. This is for those people. To help them pick the best books for the consumption of the span of weariness.

“From the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller This Is Where It Ends comes another unforgettable story of loss, hope, betrayal, and the quest for truth. Best friends Corey and Kyra were inseparable in their snow-covered town of Lost Creek, Alaska. When Corey moves away, she makes Kyra promise to stay strong during the long, dark winter, and wait for her return. Just days before Corey is to return home to visit, Kyra dies. Corey is devastated – and confused. The entire Lost community speaks in hushed tones about the town’s lost daughter, saying her death was meant to be. And they push Corey away like she’s a stranger. Corey knows something is wrong. With every hour, her suspicion grows. Lost is keeping secrets – chilling secrets. But piecing together the truth about what happened to her best friend may prove as difficult as lighting the sky in an Alaskan winter…” Said Danielle Perreault of BookBub Blog in the article “The Biggest Teen Books for Adults Coming in 2018” about the book Before I Let Go by Marieke Nijkamp. This book is great for the people that enjoy mystery and thriller fiction books.

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zelie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls. But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were targeted and killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope. Now, Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good. Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for the enemy.” Eric Smith of Paste described Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi in “10 of the Most Anticipated Young Adult books of 2018”. Children of Blood and Bone is a thrilling, diverse fantasy book for those people that enjoy stories of magic and danger.

“Author Harper Lee explores racial tensions in the fictional “tired old town” of Maycomb, Ala., through the eyes of 6-year-old Scout Finch. As her lawyer father, Atticus, defends a black man accused of rape, Scout and her friends learn about the unjust treatment of African-Americans – and their mysterious neighbor, Boo Radley.” Said NPR Books in “Your Favorite; 100 Best-Ever Teen Novels” about the book To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. To Kill a Mockingbird is a southern gothic, bildungsroman(a novel dealing with one person’s formative years or spiritual education), coming-of-age fiction book that would interest anyone that enjoys historical fiction, or mystery books.

If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human. When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers – boys whose memories are also gone. Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade. Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out – and no one’s ever made it through alive. Everything is going to change. Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying. Remember. Survive. Run.” This was the description given by the books author James Dashner. The books name is The Maze Runner. It is probably one of the most popular teen books yet, alongside The Hunger Games and Divergent. It is the first book of the #1 New York Times bestselling series. The Maze Runner is a post-apocalyptic, young adult, science fiction book that follows the main character, Thomas, and his friends, Teresa, Alby, Newt, Minho, and Chuck, in the Glade and the events leading up to their escape of the place that they fear the most. There is some confrontation between Thomas and some characters such as Gally, and Ben that will occur but will be taken care of. At the end they will discover some news from the woman that out them in there, Doctor Ava Paige, and learn something about Thomas and Teresa that they didn’t even expect from themselves. Sadly, they suffer some losses in the book such as, Alby, the leader in the Glade, and at the end, Chuck, and Gally. This book became so popular that in September of 2014 Fox released a movie version of it. The other books of the series became just as popular as this, which ended up with them releasing a movie for The Scorch Trials in May of 2015 and a movie for The Death Cure in January of 2018. Unfortunately, there is said to be no movie for the other two books, The Kill Order and The Fever Code.