Filed under BASKETBALL, Showcase

A play by play of the varsity girls basketball vs Valdosta Wildcats

Photo credits: R .Belcher

Photo credits: R .Belcher

Photo credits: R .Belcher

This Saturday, the Lady Trojans took on the Valdosta Wildcats.

“I think about what my teammates will expect me to do, I perform what my coach will expect me to do, and I also think of my mom to keep me relaxed.” Passion Thomas (12), #23, said.

The Lady Trojans started off strong in the first two quarters with a score of 34-23 at halftime with Valdosta leading.

“Coach felt very good at halftime.” Ty McFarland (12), #24, said. “In the locker-room, she talked to us and let us know we could come back in the third quarter and to go back out there and work as a team.”

With 7:09 seconds left on the clock in the third quarter #23 Thomas goes for a layup and makes it. Then, there is a foul on Valdosta and #33 for Lee gets two free throw shots. #33 gets the first but misses the second. Valdosta gets the rebound and advances with their lead, with a score of 36-26.

#15 for Lee goes for a perfect formed layup and gets two points for the Lady Trojans. From there, Valdosta makes a turnover play but fouls out #13 for Lee.

#13 takes the shot and scores! From there, another turnover but this time by Lee and Lee has the ball. They get a two-pointer.  #10 from the Wildcat gets another turnover and Valdosta leads with a 40-30 score. With 2:43 seconds left on the clock, Lee’s head coach Mrs. Coach Davis calls a timeout.

“To be honest, I feel like every one of my teammates stepped it up tonight so I can’t really pick a teammate because we all played very hard.” Thomas #23 said.

As the fourth quarter begins, #24 literally trips and kicks the ball with her feet into the hands of the Wildcats. #24 quickly gets up and makes a stunning rebound, but she is unable to prevent the Wildcats from soon after scoring a three-pointer.

“I try to focus on the game, I make sure my teammates are where they are supposed to be, I help them out, talk to them, and I don’t have time to worry about the crowd.” McFarland #24 told us.

Lee fouls a Wildcats and the Wildcats are able to make more advancement towards the Lady Trojans scoring both free throw shots. With fast reflexes, #16 for Lee goes for a beautiful jump shot and the buzzer sounds. This sounding the end of the third quarter, with the score of 51-32 Lee.

“I really think Passion #23 stepped it up tonight, she scores most of our points tonight, driving in, shooting three’s, and she did almost everything she could to help the team out.” Addison Renfroe (12), #21, said.

Finally, the fourth quarter begins and it starts off good for the Lady Trojans. Lee gets two points with a layup and Addison gets a three-pointer.  With not much happening in the fourth quarter but very good defense, Valdosta calls a timeout with 4:13 seconds left with a score of 56-40.

“We lifted each other up, we gave each other encouragement, but individually I set myself goals. Goals such as having a certain number of rebounds and a certain number of shots. I needed to help my teammates and encourage them which is my job.” Toni Edny (11),#12, said.

Edny #12, is what you would call a small forward,”I am a two or three guard or a small forward.” Edny told us. “My role is to drive the ball to the post with a good pass because most guards are prone to having a turnover and we cannot have turnovers.”

Soon afterwards, there was a foul against the Wildcats and the Trojans chances of winning were looking good, but soon after their chances got slimmer when Valdosta got yet another three-pointer. Lee still not giving up, gets a three-pointer giving the Wildcats a run for their money.

With a score of 63-43 and 1:38 seconds left on the clock, Lee makes a timeout. Shortly after, Valdosta has the chance to get two free points on free throw shots.

Thomas #23 with 43.3 seconds on the clock with everything left in her shoots and scores a three-pointer and another timeout by Lee.

Even with the timeout, the Lady Trojans were unable to gain back points and the game ended with a score of 69-46 Valdosta.

“It hard, you know. I mean because we’ve lost every region game and we are trying to bounce back so we can make it to the playoffs but it just isn’t happening right now, but we will come back next week.” Renfroe #21 concluded.”

“Tonight, I feel like even though we lost, we produced, we stayed in the game, we performed well, and we spoke and communicated with each other.”  Thomas #23 said.

“The fourth quarter, I mean everyone was actually not lying over and dying. Even though we lost we all fought back and worked together as a team to win with each other. We all helped lift one another up instead of putting them down while we were losing.”  Edny #12 told us.

“I feel like we could have worked harder to get the win.” McFarland #24 said. “We could have come back in the third and gotten the win but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be and we can have time to come back and work as a team next game.” McFarland #24 concluded.

Although the Lady Trojans were defeated with a heartbreaking 69-46 score, they sure did give up one heck of a fight.

The Lady Trojans girls Varsity basketball team play next Saturday, February 3rd, at 7:00.

Please come out and witness some amazing talent as well as watch one amazing game here at the Lee County High School gym.