Beta Club sports new sponsor: John Jack

This year, Lee County introduced a new teacher and club sponsor into Lee County and his name is Mr. John Jack (Faculty)Jack is the new Beta Club sponsor for Lee County but this is not his first experience with beta club before,”I was the Beta club sponsor at both Tift County and Ben Hill County. The only difference I would have to say between Lee County and other schools is that I had a cosponsor meaning I did not have all the responsibilities on my shoulders, I had someone that I shared these responsibilities with.”

Beta club recently held elections for officer positions and the results are in. For the first time, Beta had a tie for Presidents. The tie was between both Emma Keaton (12) and Justin Creamer (12). Keaton and Creamer both decided that they would keep it that way instead of having another election, leaving Beta Club with two Presidents this year.

For Vice President, Destinee Swain (12) was elected. For Secretary, Justin Seo (12), and for Treasurer, Rachael Borra (11).

Currently, Beta club is focusing on the up in coming Nation Beta club convention. The event will take place in Savannah, Georgia- January 24th-26th.

There are many different competitions that these members can choose from:

• Individual Competitions- (You may enter only student from each grade level) This including: Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, Agriculture, Spanish, Creative Writing, Speech, and Poetry all Division one and two. Also you have Onsite art which includes Colored Pencils, Acrylic Painting, and Pencil. Lastly, Visual Arts. This includes; Photography, Digital Art, Painting, Fiber Arts, Woodworking, Mixed Media, Drawing, Sculpture, Recyclable Art, Watercolor, and Handmade Jewelry.
  • Team Competitions- (Team members names will be entered at the time of online registration) This includes the following categories: Quiz Bowl, Fresh Look on Beta, Beta Build, Advertising Design, and Robotics.
  •  Club Competitions- These including; Banner, Scrapbook, Technology, Character Skit, Spotlight on service, living literature, show choir, and talent or special group.

This year, Jack is trying to push aside the typical stereotypes about Beta Club. “It is just a club.” Jack said. “But this year, it is going to be run a little different. We are going to try new and different things and well as having so much fun with it.”

While Jack was applying to work at Lee County, the administrators told him that there were available club sponsor spots open if he wanted to do so. The two club opening were United Nations and Beta Club. “I chose Beta because I know from the past more about Beta then I knew about United Nations. Not only that, but it is the type of students that are in this club that makes me love what I am doing. These students are in this club because they are passionate about something, and it is just so amazing to work with these students that I know share similar interests with me.” Jack said.

Jack is excited for the new upcoming national convention in which he believes that “We have a strong group of students and I am beyond excited to work with them.”

Although Jack was not in Beta Club in his younger years, he encourages students to sign up.

“To me, beta club is a great opportunity for students to; one: serve others and two: be able to excel in academics that they have interest in.” Jack said.

Beta clubs meet most Thursdays after school and also during IF (unless changed).

For more information regarding the national beta club convention you may visit http://www.betaclub.org/

If you are interested in becoming a member it is not too late. For information or questions regarding beta club, email Mr. John Jack at: [email protected]