Filed under CAMPUS NEWS, Showcase

Marching band plays tribute to music’s royalty

There are many aspects that make up a Friday night football game. The lights, the action, the cheer and noise all contribute to making up the entertaining atmosphere. But the games wouldn’t be the same without the marching band.

The Lee County Marching Band has returned to the stadium once again to play and support the football team. They play and cheer on the football team from the stands, and take the field during halftime to entertain the audience. This year, their show is titled A Tribute to Music’s Royalty. The show features many different songs by famous singers who have shaped pop culture.

The show opens up with “We Will Rock You” and “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen. We Will Rock You is a popular anthem from the album News of the World, released on October 28th, 1977. The anthem has become a huge staple in stadiums and sports events. The operatic-rock song “Bohemian Rhapsody” was released earlier in 1975 on the album A Night at the Opera, considered by many to be “Queen’s masterpiece”.

The show then transitions into “Workin’ Day and Night” and “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson. “Workin Day and Night” was released on the album Off the Wall in 1979 before his career as a solo artist exploded. The song went on to be used in films and events after Michael Jackson’s solo career took off, and the song is now a classic. “Billie Jean” was released in 1982 on the album Thriller, one of his most famous albums. “Billie Jean” was the second single released and is the song that drove the Thriller album to the top of the billboard charts.

After the Michael Jackson segment, the show goes back to the 60’s with Aretha Franklin’s “Respect”. Originally written and released by artist Otis Redding in 1965, Aretha Franklin recorded a cover of the song for her album I Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You in 1967. The song rose to the top in the pop charts and became an anthem for the civil rights movement, addressing the racism present at the time.

After “Respect”, the band plays the finale of their show, “Let’s go Crazy” by Prince. The song was featured as the opening track of the film Purple Rain, and was released on Prince’s album of the same name. The song became one of Prince’s most popular songs and was a staple at his live concerts.

“It’s really good, it’s a lot better than it was last year, they have a lot of variety this year.” says junior Anna Grace Haggerty when asked about the halftime show. Her and the many other students at football games have responded to the show with a lot of positivity.

The band has provided audiences with entertainment for years, and this years show surely provides the audience with a great experience.