The Story of Lee County High School

Students+at+LCHS+have+been+mindful+for+many+generations+due+to+their+time+and+hard+work+they+take+each+day.+It+is+a+treasure+to+be+around+people+who+have+one+thing+in+common%3A+a+passion+for+Lee+County.+%22My+most+favorite+part+about+this+school+would+have+to+be+the+Fine+Arts+Department%2C%22+Rachel+Ward+%2812%29+said.+

Students at LCHS have been mindful for many generations due to their time and hard work they take each day. It is a treasure to be around people who have one thing in common: a passion for Lee County. "My most favorite part about this school would have to be the Fine Arts Department," Rachel Ward (12) said.

“Nestled in the fields of Georgia,

‘Neath the skies so blue,

Stands our noble Alma Mater,

Known to all but few”

These words have been sung by students of Lee County High School for so many years, yet in three different locations. While many of our traditions have remained the same for the longest time, one thing for sure is that we have come so far, location-wise.

When Lee County High first opened its doors all the way back in 1889, we first stood in the building where the Lee County Pre-K center is today; along with the tag office.

In the 1965-1966 school year, Cecil Myers (Alumni) and Pamela Grace (Alumni) were named the first Valedictorian and Salutatorian, respectively. During the 1975-1976 school year, the first STAR Student and STAR Teacher awards were given to Eddie Harrell (Alumni) and Ronnie Dupree (Alumni), respectively.

In 1978, our new school building was on 185 Firetower Road, where the Lee County Middle School East Campus is today. At this time, Lee County Elementary School took over the original spot, where if you go to the front of the gym doors, you will see handprints left by the students there in 1996, when the Summer Olympics were held in Atlanta, GA. You can also still see the wrestling room still standing to this very day.

Our current location, on 1 Trojan Way, opened in 1992, and is still going strong. This was where our famous theater program, the Palladium Players, was brought to life through their first entry for the annual One Act, Orpheus.  Two years after that, we were chartered as Thespian Troupe 5297, and have inducted many Thespians since then.

In 2008, to keep our freshmen safe from their older counterparts, the 9th Grade campus opened in the area formerly occupied by the original Twin Oaks Elementary School. This building has gone through a few changes as well, since becoming the Lee County Training School in 1955, and later on, the original Lee County Middle School in 1970, leading up to it becoming Twin Oaks in 1992, the same year we got our current location. This was, of course,  before our middle school got split into two campuses, East and West.

While we are the home of the Trojans, our mascot has also changed as well. In the early to late 1980’s, a monster-like creature, named Big Red had the spot of Spirit Leader during pep rallies and football games. He wore a white Trojan jersey with two zeros on the back. Starting in the early to  late 1990’s, our very own Mr. Trojan began as a person dressed in full battle armor riding on a horse and waving to everyone during parades and other activities and sports. He then developed into the Mr. Trojan costume we know today.

Most recently, in the 2017-2018 school year, our school got an updated multi-purpose building, complete with an upstairs room and an elevator. While walking in there, you may see some memories from our football team’s early years, and the many times they went in pursuit of the State Championship title and all the games they have scored as well.

As you enter our current campus, you may encounter our Robert A Clay Auditorium, named after Robert A Clay (Alumni) himself. What’s so important is that he has served as superintendent of our school system for the longest period of time. Ever since then, we now have people who have shaped our school, and keep it looking great for years to come.

“My most favorite part about being in LCHS is the Fine Arts Department,” Rachel Ward (12) said.

Keegan Harper (10) said, “my friends have shaped me; if I never had this school, I would never have friends.”

“The one change I would want to see is more clubs,” Haley Lokey (10) said.

Either way you put it, Lee County High School will be a school of excellence for generations from now.