Compassion Drive

The month of February is compassion month so SGA or Student Government Association set up a compassion drive for those in need. This begins on February 24 through the 28. They are collecting all toiletries, a few examples are hand sanitizer, tissue, deodorant, lotions and so on. While these are the items that are needed, any donation will be accepted.

There are boxes placed around the school for students to place their donations in, they will be used here at the school for the students in need. There have been five boxes full already that have been collected, some include prom dresses. April Trussell (Faculty) says, “I have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of donations we have had.”

Although these donations are for our school, they will also be distributed to other schools for their students as well. Donations will also be accepted year round. Which brings up, The Giving Tree. The Giving Tree is a closet in the lunch room, that holds all of the items students may be in need of. “It started as a FBLA project and it has just grown from there.” says Amanda Overstreet (Faculty). Students may go in or they can talk to their guidance counselor and get their items from them.

Many students are homeless or economically disadvantaged and need all the help they can get. According to USIC ,” 2016-2017 school year shows that an estimated 38,474 public school students experienced homelessness over the course of the year.” A classmate may be in need and these donations will help them. Even if they do not need them, someone does. Donating these items can help someone better themselves. So donate because someone will use it and be very thankful for the donations.