High school headcount

As seniors prepare to graduate and incoming students come to this campus, each year is expected to hold something different. Potter says,

As seniors prepare to graduate and incoming students come to this campus, each year is expected to hold something different. Potter says, “Being at this school is definitely an experience worth the effort.”

In the Lee County school system, there are over 1,345 enrolled students. That number seems to grow each year as seniors leave and new freshman come in. Because the ninth grade campus and the high school are separated, it is more difficult to see the amount of incoming sophomores into the high school compared to the number of seniors leaving. However, students on campus have been more and more interested in these statistics as the end of the year gets closer and incoming freshman prepare for the last four years of their school career.

School counselor, Brandi Chester (Faculty) says, “Each year, the amount of students that enter the high school varies because of Lee County High school’s reputation.” Some of the things that draw people into the school system is mainly the successful history of the campus.

Research shows that Lee County schools rank 459 out of 2,174 schools in Georgia. In result, Lee County has achieved Adequate Yearly Progress for seven years in a row now as of today. The overall growth of the school has increased dramatically since 2008 when the football team became well known by winning the region championship.

From the student body’s perspective, they believe that there are a lot more students coming in from the ninth grade campus than there are seniors right now.

Leah Potter (11) said ” I am only a junior but the new sophomore class looks like it has a lot more students than when my class came in last year. Plus, we have had a lot of new students this year that I have noticed and it is just totally different from last year to me.”

What is very surprising to students is that there has actually been a consistent amount of incoming students for the last five years. According to Mrs. Chester, there was a little bit of an increase in 2016 that the statistics showed but since then, Lee County’s enrollment rate has remained constant overall even though there has more than likely been a slight increase because of new students or students who have left the school system.

From the looks of it, according to students, it almost seems like there are more people attending the system compared to prior years. However, compared to the rate of students attending now compared to about ten years ago, Lee County High School’s population has grown tremendously and one can expect that by the next decade, that number will continue to grow.