Troupe 5297 attend Georgia ThesCon

Javy+Fajardo+%2812%29%2C+Madalyn+Reed+%2812%29%2C+Jude+Mullins+%2811%29%2C+and+Kelly+Kennedy+%2810%29+enjoy+their+time+with+troupe+5297+at+thescon.+The+thespians+spent+their+time+at+the+conference+hanging+out+and+learning+more+about+what+they+enjoy.+%22It%27s+been+both+fun+and+really+beneficial+with+all+the+workshops+we%27ve+gotten+to+attend%2C%22+Mullins+said.+

Javy Fajardo (12), Madalyn Reed (12), Jude Mullins (11), and Kelly Kennedy (10) enjoy their time with troupe 5297 at thescon. The thespians spent their time at the conference hanging out and learning more about what they enjoy. “It’s been both fun and really beneficial with all the workshops we’ve gotten to attend,” Mullins said.

ThesCon is an annual convention that thespian troupes across the state of Georgia attend every year. ThesCon is held in Columbus, and will start on February 6 and last until February 8. As this year’s ThesCon quickly approaches, the students of Troupe 5297 prepare for the event. 

Students attending ThesCon get the chance to see a variety of different productions from schools across Georgia. Troupes will have the choice to see any production they choose during scheduled show times, such as Mary Persons High School’s production of Dancing at Lughnasa on Thursday, Warner Robins High School’s Freaky Friday on Friday morning, or Glynn Academy’s Rent to name a few highlights participating this year.

ThesCon offers a wide range of workshops led by professionals for attendees to participate in and learn from. The ThesCon 2020 handbook states a variety of workshops, including, “dance, movement, voice, accents, the audition process, improvisation, makeup, costuming, stage management, set design and construction, lighting and sound, team building, and theatre games.”

Thespians looking to work on their dance skills for their future productions can check out the “Afro-Caribbean Dance Fusion workshop,” or the “Dancing Through the Decades” workshop to learn a wide variety of dance styles. For some technical skills, thespians can attend Thursday’s “Bringing the Inspired YOU” workshop. Also on Thursday is the “Character Development for ANY playwright” workshop for those interested in playwriting, as well as the “Emotional Flexibility” workshop for those looking to improve their drama skills on stage. There are even many workshops focusing on stage crew, such as Friday’s “Stage Management Class” workshop. These workshops, just to name a few, will all be present at ThesCon every day. 

Alongside the shows and workshops, ThesCon offers a variety of opportunities for students to compete for scores. ThesCon has a crew of judges for students who want to perform a solo and receive a score. Troupe 5297 has two thespians performing solos this year: Emily Young (12) performing “I Don’t Need a Roof” from Big Fish and Rachel Ward (12) performing “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” from The Phantom of the Opera.

“We get to perform any song we’ve worked on for a judge, and we get scored. It’s a really cool experience,” Young said.

As well as solos, Troupe 5297 has students participating in both musical performance and technical design. For musical performance, Devan Milling (12) and Keith Peacock (12) will perform “Timeless to Me” from Hairspray, and for technical design, Victoria Roberts (12) will show off the lighting used in The Drowsy Chaperone. 

ThesCon will be a time for the thespians of Troupe 5297 to learn more about theater and learn from various workshops, judges, and hundreds of other thespians from across the state.