The carnies of AMDM

Alexis Hall is managing her station as her partner leaves to try out other games provided by the seniors of Mrs. Greene’s math class. Several sophomores play Alexis’s and her partner’s game determined to win. Alexis said, “We have learned how to apply theoretical probability, experimental probability, and expected payoff to everyday life”.

Step right up folks to the AMDM Carnival. A place to play games and win prizes, as well as learn about probability. The carnies of AMDM have specially prepared entertainment for all participants.

Christy Greene’s (faculty) senior classes set up games for kids from different math classes. Several students chose any game as long as it dealt with probability. The carnival was a way to show the students how probability works.

Probability is the likelihood of something happening. It is between two numbers, 0 and 1; 0 being impossible and 1 being definite. The higher the probability of an event the more likely it will happen. There are three types of probability: theoretical, experimental, and conditional. Theoretical is through theory. It is what is believed to happen when options are given. Experimental is what actually happens when someone does something. When playing a game experimental has something that theoretical does not include, human error.

Human error is an action done unintentionally by the actor and it affects everything. Theoretical does not involve this. It only involves the end results without any factors.

Conditional is completely different from theoretical and experimental. It is the measurement of something happening because of a previous event to start everything.

The way the students would collect their data is by different forms of models such as: Tree Diagram, Area Model, or Venn Diagram. Many of the games needed tree diagrams because of the amount of options given to the player.

After the games were played and the data was collected Greene’s students would create projects. In these projects they would learn about the expenses taken to supply their businesses, and revenue from what would be made from every so many students who played; that being thirty. Also profit was collected, which is revenue subtracted from expenses.

Students shared their findings with other students in the classes. Through these projects the students were given ways to use what they learned, which is probability, for real life scenarios. Cameron Peeks (12) said, “It taught me how to use what we were doing in class to real world situation”. Understanding probability greatly affects the way someone will play a game. Through practice and skill the carnival can be so much easier.