AP Psychology “egg”speriment cracks students up

With just a few minutes and a Sharpie, a once bare egg transforms into a child with it's own personality. Each student's egg was completely different, just like people in real life.

With just a few minutes and a Sharpie, a once bare egg transforms into a child with it's own personality. Each student's egg was completely different, just like people in real life. "The project was more hands on than previous projects," Jessi Yeh (12) said.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Kate Rowan (Faculty)’s AP Psychology classes were assigned a project in which they were to carry around an egg, plastic or real, for a week. The egg was to be treated like a child in order to apply knowledge of developmental patterns in humans. 

Each day of the week represented a different stage in the “child’s” development. Students raised their eggs from newborns to high school students in seven days, applying ideas from different psychologists and parenting types along the way.

“[During the project] I’ve learned the different stages of development in children,” Sara Kate Kirkland (12) said, “as well as the theories different psychologists have formed for their idea of human development.”

Interactivity is one of many ways to get students interested in learning. Being able to choose their egg color, face, and the name of their eggs got many students excited about doing a project, even with it taking place the week before Thanksgiving break.

“I’ve never had a project that was so consuming like this one,” Kirkland said. “We [were] expected to carry our egg everywhere we go, no matter what [we were] doing.”

Although many believed the project would be an easy A, it proved to be more difficult throughout the week. There were a lot more challenges and learning experiences than anticipated.

Donna DeReus (11) said, “I have learned to be more aware from this experiment. Having my egg with me all day [made] me more aware of my surroundings and the egg itself.”

Many students signed up for this elective class because they are interested in psychology and learning more about how the brain works.

“My favorite part of psychology is understanding the human behavior aspects of it,” Jessi Yeh (12) said. “[Like] how humans think and reason and interpret information.”

“My favorite part of psychology,” DeReus said, “is being able to learn more in depth about how everyone’s minds work and the many factors that can change it.” 

After the egg-speriment is over, students will be able to return to their normal life, without out a “child” to care for. While this may be a relief for some, others may find it hard to leave behind the child/egg they have taken care of and helped grow from an infant to a high school senior. However hard, however relieving, these students have gotten a taste of what it means to be a parent and the eggs-hausting hard work it takes.