Double dose of college for dual enrolled students

Students work hard to keep grades up while applying for college. This week students have been given advice from faculty on how they can best prepare for college and their future. “The benefits of what comes afterwards [like] some schools have programs designed to help you after college and that’s what I look for,” Victoria Crickmar (12) said, “anything that will give me a boost in my career after college.”

Grace Faucheux

Grace Faucheux

Grace Faucheux

During college week, students are encouraged to look into, apply, and research various colleges. Teachers are also encouraged to tell their students about the many opportunities that are just past high school graduation.

In looking for a college every student is different. Each one will value different things and factor these into the decision of where they will further their academic career.

“The benefits of what comes afterwards [like] some schools have programs designed to help you after college and that’s what I look for,” Victoria Crickmar (12) said, “anything that will give me a boost in my career after college.”

Throughout the week students participated in multiple activities. This included a scavenger hunt, an open panel discussion, completing applications with the assistance of faculty, and a college spirit day.

“Wanting to become a doctor encourages me to consider college and I’m looking into either biology or pre-med programs, Brittney Benner (12) said.

Among these is a special opportunity for the Dual Enrollment students. On Monday, Georgia Southwestern University (GSW) recruitment officers came to the high school campus and spoke to a large group of students in the lecture hall and other dual enrollment classes that meet on campus.

The recruitment officers encouraged students to consider GSW by listing off their accomplishments, academic opportunity, social opportunities, and the benefits of going to a college only 45 minutes from home.

“It was enlightening because they told us all about the scholarships they have to offer,” Emily McClure (12) said, “It [showed me] they care about having us further our [academic] career at GSW because they took the time to come see us.”

“I want to major in nursing… so I look at the type of nursing program the college offers,” Hannah Knight (12) said. “I [also want] one that is close to home so I can commute.”

GSW and the other dual enrollment colleges hold a major advantage in recruiting. They are with students day-in and day-out. Many fall into the colleges after they graduate because they can be sure their credits will be taken and they already are involved in the school.

“I liked being able to take college english rather than high school english and to be able to get [my] college english out of the way,” Benner said. “I was able to get more professor interaction with them coming to the high school campus.”

With college application deadline closing in on the seniors they have welcomed this opportunity to get help and advice from their teachers and counselor on the next step in their lives.