SADD Sign Ceremony

SADD Sign Ceremony

As Rachel Tippins(12) cut the second sign, the crowd starts to clap, and cheer in shock of how the signs look. Before the signs were presented, there was a lot of speaking about students against destructive decisions. In shock of the amazement of the posters, assistant principal Ronald Hill clapped and said “Wow. Now that is really good.”

The students against destructive decision (SADD) club is all about being against destructive decisions. One of those decisions includes destructive driving. With a lot of students driving to school, SADD wanted to find some creative way to remind teens that drive to school to drive safely and responsible. SADD had a ceremony on destructive driving on Wednesday at students and faculty came to see a presentation of the created signs on the entrance way and exit way for students to see. There were a lot of guest speakers who attended the ceremony as well including Dr.Hancock(faculty), Dr. Jason Miller(faculty) to talk about destructive driving. 

Talking about how long the signs took to make, SADD club President Rhiannon Belcher (12) said, “It took us about 2 months to make. There was so many trials and errors during and we wanted to add and change, but the final product we got was beautiful. It took a lot of work but it was so much fun to work on, and I am proud of the people who helped out.”

The signs were beautiful, and SADD member Rachel Tippins (12) said about the message, “We hope the signs will make the student drivers aware of destructive driver and too keep our students safe on the road. With so many students now getting their permits and license, they need a reminder that freedom comes with responsibility.”

Bringing up the future changes in students, SADD member Kinzie Mctyeire(12) said, “We hope in the future, the students will be more aware of their surroundings, and become better, safer drivers. Hoping the influence from these future juniors and seniors can influence the lower classmen when they start to driver to drive safe. A person’s life is on the line at all times when driving on the road. It is not worth to lose a life to check your phone for a text message, or change of a song, or whatever people do on their phones. It is not worth your life or the life of another. We hope to see a change in our students and hope they start to make better decisions.”

The SADD ceremony was very successful. Administrators, teachers and students came to this ceremony and showcase of the new signs. The guess speakers had a lot of advice to share and stories to tell. The students and faculty involved hope the ceremony will have a lasting impact in the parking lot.