Trendy things to do on Halloween

Trendy things to do on Halloween

Mark's Melon Patch is full of people choosing pumpkins to purchase from the pumpkin patch. With Halloween quickly approaching, students are getting ready for their Halloween plans.

Mark's Melon Patch is full of people choosing pumpkins to purchase from the pumpkin patch. With Halloween quickly approaching, students are getting ready for their Halloween plans. "Me and Jacob Watts (12) are planning on taking his little siblings trick or treating," Janie Eubanks (11) said.

Halloween is coming right around the corner, and people are getting ready for the end of the month with parties, candy, and several other activities. There are plenty of ways students are spending Halloween this year.

“I don’t have anything too special planned for Halloween,” Jordan Kirksey (11) said. “I’m going to take my little brother trick-or treating,”

Whether for trick or treating or just for fun, costumes are always associated with Halloween. Stores start stocking up with several costumes around the beginning of October, so there are several choices to choose from if picking out a costume. 

“I’m planning on dressing up and taking my toddler cousin trick-or treating,” Abby Jenkins (11) said.

Websites like Pinterest are full of Halloween costume ideas around this time. When looking at the total search numbers and pins for all the costume themes on Pinterest, Powerpuff Girls seem to be making a comeback, with Powerpuff Girl themed costume searches being the most popular theme for female costumes. Pirate and circus themed costumes follow after that, being costume themes that allow for a lot of variety and creativity. Costumes from Stranger Things, a popular Netflix supernatural thriller series, are particularly trendy costumes on the platform, including main character Eleven.

For male costume searches on Pinterest, viking costumes lead the way, followed by Spider-Man, the Joker, and Jedis. Vikings are always a popular costume theme, allowing for more individual creativity like the pirate and circus themed costumes. And with Spider-Man appearing in recent popular films like Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far from Home, and Joker starring in his own movie just released recently, it makes sense that they would be trendy costumes this Halloween.

This actually is not the first time Joker costumes have gained this level of attention for Halloween. History seems to be repeating itself, as Joker costumes saw a period of popularity like seen this year a little over 10 years ago as well, with the late Heath Ledger’s portrayal of the character in 2008’s “The Dark Knight.” Both Joker designs make for interesting and creepy Halloween costumes.

Heath Ledger’s Joker design (left) and Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker design (right) that inspired the top Halloween costumes for 2008 and 2019.

Many people enjoy scary movies as a way to enjoy some frights on Halloween. September and October are generally the month of horror movies, seeing the release of many horror and Halloween themed movies for people to see during Halloween.

For those looking for a scary story for Halloween, “It Chapter Two” has been a popular choice. “Chapter 2” follows the characters and continues the story from 2017’s “It.” After being defeated by the kids of the Losers’ Club, the evil clown Pennywise returns to the surface 27 years later to terrorize the town of Derry, Maine. Now adults, the childhood friends have gone on seperate paths. But after several disappearances, Mike Hanlon (played by Isaiah Mustafa) calls the other back to Derry for one final stand against the shape-shifting Pennywise, where they must conquer their fears to destroy him.

For an original horror movie, “Countdown” is coming out on October 25, just in time for those looking to catch a scary movie for Halloween. When a young nurse (played by Elizabeth Lail) downloads a mysterious app claiming to predict the moment a person will die, the app warns her she has only three days to live. Now with the clock ticking and a figure haunting her, she must find a way to save herself before time runs out.

To get into the spirit of Halloween with the community, there are several local events occuring. 

Chahaw’s annual Spooktacular Day is being held on Saturday October 26. The zoo will be full with several Halloween themed games, activities, candy, and a costume contest with prizes. 

Mark’s Melon Patch has several Halloween themes activities occurring as well. Visitors can pick their own pumpkins at the pumpkin patch. “Fun in the Dark” night hayrides will be held at the patch from October 23 through 26 starting at 9:30 pm. And during the weekend, the Spooky Barn hay maze will be up for visitors to explore.