Digging deep into mental health programs

Posters are featured in the counselors office so students who struggle with mental health issues are aware of different resources. Some students did not know about national programs dedicated to helping with mental health, and the counselors wanted the students to become more aware. Mr. Tindell said

Posters are featured in the counselors office so students who struggle with mental health issues are aware of different resources. Some students did not know about national programs dedicated to helping with mental health, and the counselors wanted the students to become more aware. Mr. Tindell said "We try to make the student body aware of resources outside of the school just in case they are afraid of talking to someone they know face-to-face."

Victoria Drury

Victoria Drury

Victoria Drury

Mental health issues within high schools is a mostly unnoticed issue that affects many adolescents. According to NPR, “up to one in five kids living in the U.S. shows signs or symptoms of a mental health disorder in a given year.”  A vast majority of these people will never get treatment, and most people are unaware they have one.

People suffering from mental health disorders are going through a silent battle as they struggle to find resources that are provided to them in their school system. Even though many schools do have mental health programs in place, most students are unaware that this resource is there. Over time, more programs have been implemented in school systems to try and combat this issue. Bring Change to Mind is a student-led club that “gives teens a platform to share their voices and raise awareness around mental health,” with over 250 schools attending across the country. While it is not as this school, everyone has access to their blog and can learn how to get involved through their website. Through the blog, students can learn more about mental health and how they can help each other if they are going through different issues.

Given these large statistics on mental health disorders, students must learn more about different mental health programs their school offers so they will know where to get assistance.

“We are currently offering a mental health program called Aspire, which is a community resource that provides help for students with any home or school issues they may be experiencing,” Mr. Tindell (Faculty) said.

This program is currently offered at the school with all of the resources available, but they are currently in the works of finding another representative for the school that can be on campus to help students.

Even if programs may currently be in place designed to help students, they may not feel comfortable admitting to taking part in these resources. They may be concerned about judgement from their peers.

Ashlee James (11) said “I have not heard much about people making fun of others for going to the counselors for help. Most people try to only tell their close friends about it to avoid embarrassment, but I think that it is mostly in people’s heads that others are going to make fun of them.”

“I believe that students are comfortable with coming to me or the other counselors for help when they need it. We will always be here to assist the entire student body and even reach out to the community to help the students to the best of our abilities,” Tindell said.

Even though there is a current program in place designed for the student body, sophomores or even some upperclassmen may not even be aware of this resource.

Madison Nicholson (10) said “I have never heard of a specific program being in place, I just know that the counselors are here to help anyone that needs it, and some of my friends have gone when they were facing a specific issue.”

With more representation of the programs available for students that can show how much help is available, perhaps the statistics can lower on the amount of students struggling with mental health disorders that they are not even aware that they have.