Humans of Lee: Up Close and Personal with Hunter Hammond

Hunter Hammond (10) flips through a book to find the information he needs in the media center. Hammond always worked hard in and out of his classes. “Checking in books for information has become a habit, but it works,” Hammond said.

Here at this school, there are many students involved in honors or AP (advanced placement) courses. Among the students, is Hunter Hammond (10), a student with a full load of AP/advanced classes. He has been a student in the Lee County School System his whole life, and began taking advanced classes as soon as they were offered to him.

Kim Barwick (faculty), his algebra teacher, describes him as “an excellent student.”

The amount of hard work and time that he puts into school is something that separates Hammond from the rest of his class.

“I think he puts in a lot of time outside of school. He doesn’t come into class until he is fully prepared. He is prepared daily and he keeps up with his work on a daily basis. I believe that he keeps up with all his AP and honors classes by not letting his work snowball on him. He prepares daily for it, and I think that’s a mistake that many of them make. They start procrastinating,” Barwick said.

His high average is not just luck; a lot of effort goes into keeping his grades up. One of his close friends, Jessica Argueta (10), mentioned how “he’s sacrificing a lot” to stay on top.

For example, in regards to his sleep schedule, Hammond said “there is not a sleep schedule,” and that depending on the amount of work he has to do, some nights he doesn’t go to sleep until as late as 4am.

He spends a large amount of time studying, and he explained some of his best methods. He reviews his notes several times and uses flashcards to study. Hammond also said “Instead of just reading over notes, trying to picture them on the paper and remember them is helpful. Not to mention, repeating the material vocally.”

Classes of this rigor are typically tough on students; mentally and physically. Hammond was also asked about how he felt his mental health was impacted by his course load. Hammond felt that the classes could have a negative influence on self esteem.

Hammond said, “You feel defeated when you know you’re just going to get back up and do more work.”

There is less of a sense of accomplishment for finishing assignments because as soon as one assignment is complete, there is another one ready to be started.

“When you’re taking an honors or AP class like seminar, everyone is pretty much in the same boat,” Hammond said.

Not only is he hardworking, he also wants the people around him to be successful in these classes.

Argueta said, “He helps motivate me to do my work when I really don’t feel like it.”

“They tell you that a ‘B’ is good, and it makes you feel like you aren’t good enough to get an ‘A’… like it’s ok to lower your standards,” Hammond said.

While the classes may be stressful, Hammond knows that in the end, they will help his transcript will look better later on. He is strongly motivated by his goals for the future, like attending Harvard University and becoming a biochemical engineer.

His resolve and dedication towards school play a large part in his grades and overall performance in his classes.