Learning more about the AP Capstone

The students in 5th period AP Research are working on their outline to form the basis of their introductions. Students have been working on their research topic and finding how exactly they want to format their paper. Sophia Lin (11) said

Victoria Drury

The students in 5th period AP Research are working on their outline to form the basis of their introductions. Students have been working on their research topic and finding how exactly they want to format their paper. Sophia Lin (11) said “I am really trying to make sure to stay on task so I will have less to do further in the year”.

Just last year, the high school began to offer the class AP Seminar to rising sophomores that wanted a rigorous class incorporating both literature and research. At the beginning of the second semester, students began the different parts of the AP exam, which consists of a team project and presentation about a topic of the group’s choice, the individual research-based essay and presentation, and the final sit-down exam with three short answers and an essay.

Students who completed the course and made a high score on the AP exam are now able to give advice to the people who are taking the class.

Jela Bryant (11) said, “This is the class where I learned that procrastinating is not an option. If you are not motivated to do your work and become successful, the class will be so much harder.”

Now, some of the students who completed the AP Seminar are choosing to take the AP Research course in order to get an AP Capstone. Unlike Seminar, Research is a year-long course dedicated to an investigation of the student’s choice to address their research question.

The students will gain many skills from these courses, such as knowing how to write a college-level academic paper based on their own research that they conducted. If they are able to bring a new outlook on a certain topic or issue, their research paper has the chance to be published to an academic website where people can access it to use for their own research and methods.

Although both of these classes involve a lot of dedication from the student’s themselves, it will further their education and ability to conduct research before they are even seniors in high school.