Filed under ACADEMIA, Showcase

AP course statistics

AP course statistics

Advanced Placement (AP) classes are college level classes given at a high school. The classes are overseen by the College Board, who provides the curriculum for the course.  In order to receive college credit, students must pass the 3 hour, multi-sectioned test given by the College Board.

Most tests have a first section that is multiple choice questions. In this section, points are added for correct answers, but not deducted for incorrect or unanswered questions. The second half of the test is free response questions. They can be in the form of short answers or even essays; some tests have both.

The grades of AP tests range from one to five. Three or higher is usually needed to get the college credit. Most colleges require a three, but there are a few colleges that will take a two.

There are multiple courses offered on campus this year, and even more will be added next year. At LCHS, “18% of students” are enrolled in at least 1 AP course,  from statistics by College Simply. With about 1,400 students, that means roughly 250 students take an AP class.

Each class has its own unique material, which makes it hard to determine how hard the test will be. Each course has its own average score and passing rate.

According to research by Prep Scholar, these are the national average scores and passing rates for the AP classes offered.

Course Name National Av. Score Passing Rate
Human Geography 2.72 54.4%
World History 2.78 56.2%
Seminar 3.15 82.8%
U.S. History 2.66 51.8%
English 2.83 57.2%
Physics 2.36 40.6%
Environmental Science 2.63 47.7%
Calculus 3.05 57.6%
Literature 2.57 47.3%

There are many factors that can skew the data for a certain test. For example, AP Human Geography is offered at the 9th grade campus, so it is the first opportunity students have to take an AP class. These students would not know what to expect, which could make them nervous and not do as well as they would like. This can be the case for many of the tests, like AP World History, AP U.S History, and even AP Environmental Science.

It is hard to prepare for an AP test considering that no teacher knows exactly what will be on the exam. It changes every year, so no one knows what they will keep and what will change. Even the teacher offering the course can determine the score. Different teachers have varying success rates, depending on how well they can teach the material

LCHS has a “53% pass rate” (Prep Scholar) on all of the exams offered, even ones not offered this year, like AP Chemistry.

Even if a student feels unprepared for an exam, there is still a pretty good chance of getting college credit.

About the Writer
Hannah Elliott, Co-Editor

Hi, my name is Hannah Elliott, and I am a junior this year, as well as a dual enrollment student with Georgia Southwestern. I am the Co-Editor, Head Copy...