By the Numbers: “Avengers: Endgame” tracking to dominate the box office

Avengers: Endgame will be released on April 26. The film is set to wrap up the

Avengers: Endgame will be released on April 26. The film is set to wrap up the "infinity saga" storyline the franchise has been building up over the last ten years. "I am looking forward to Endgame," Alyssa Barton (12) said. "I enjoy most Marvel movies. I am excited to see how it all turns out."

Avengers: Endgame is the next film in the massive Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), a franchise that is a Goliath of a film franchise at the box office. The MCU films have made over 18 billion dollars combined, largely due to the popularity of the franchise’s superhero characters. The MCU builds up its heroes in their own separate movies, and then assembles them all together in their “Avengers” movies, where they all join forces to fight off the next big threat.

Avengers: Endgame, releasing later this month, is coming off the coattails of Avengers: Infinity War, a film that left fans on a massive cliffhanger. Endgame has over 10 years of anticipation surrounding it, as it is essentially the culmination of every single film in the franchise. All loose ends will be tied up in a epic showdown. Captain America, Iron Man, and the other Avengers will reassemble for one last battle. There is no doubt that Endgame will be a juggernaut at the box office when it hits theaters. The question is not if it will be successful, but rather how successful will it be?

“I’m going to see Endgame on the very first day,” Kaden Douglas (11) said. “It’s cool to see how far the series has gone. It’s like the climax to your favorite TV show, but the episodes are full movies.”

The posters for both Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.

For comparison, Infinity War had a record breaking run in theaters last year. The film has, at this time, both the biggest U.S. opening weekend numbers ($257, 698, 183) and the biggest worldwide opening weekend numbers ($640, 521, 291) of all time. Infinity War ended its run with a worldwide gross of 2.48 billion dollars, the fourth highest grossing movie of all time, and one of only four other movies in history to hit over 2 billion dollars in ticket sales.

Presale tickets for Endgame went public recently, and Fandango announced that the film broke the record for most tickets sold on the first day. Erik Davis, Fandango’s managing editor said on twitter that “the numbers this one is putting up are extraordinary. I have been doing this for a good while — you all know this — and I have never seen anything like this before.”

The film has not even come out yet, and tickets are already flying into consumers hands. Box office tracking for Endgame has the film opening in the U.S. with a gross around $200-250 million, and some sources tracking it at a possible $280 million opening weekend. What is even more impressive are the worldwide tracking numbers. Tracking suggests that Endgame will top Infinity War with a worldwide opening weekend gross around $800 million.

The Chinese poster for Avenegrs: Endgame.

I definitely agree that Endgame will top Infinity War’s worldwide opening weekend gross. Endgame has one thing going for it there, and that is China. China is the second largest country in terms of movie profit, right behind the United States. Infinity War released on May 11 last year in China, two weeks after its opening weekend in the U.S. and other countries. Despite this gap, it was still extremely successful in China. It was recently announced that Endgame will be opening on April 26, the same day at the U.S. opening weekend. With China to back it up on the opening weekend alongside the U.S. this time, Endgame will probably beat Infinity War’s current record. I think that a $800 million opening weekend is a good prediction.

Looking at Endgame’s possible domestic opening weekend, I’d say an opening weekend around $280 million is extremely likely. It is usually not the best to go for the highest number, but judging Endgame’s presale ticket sales compared to Infinity War’s, I think it is bound to outdo its predecessor.

Endgame will definitely be extremely successful. It is probably the most anticipated movie of the year, and that will boost its box office numbers. Only time will tell if it will reach the 2 billion milestone that Infinity War did, but I think it is extremely likely. Avengers: Endgame will release in theaters on April 26.

About the Writer
Jackson Carlstrom, Co-Editor

Hi, my name is Jackson Carlstrom, and I am a junior this school year. I am a Co-Editor for the 2018-2019 PanopticOnline staff. Writing is my passion, it...